Mamiya RZ67 focus track problem - skipped one tooth

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Simon Benton, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Simon Benton

Simon Benton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It appears that one side of the focus track of my Mamiya RZ67 has skipped a tooth. This results in the front standard that holds the lens not being parallel to the film plane. The focus is perfectly smooth for the whole track run but it is misaligned by 1 tooth. Is there an easy way to correct this or is the camera destined for the parts bin?

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Certainly not the parts bin. I think it's Paul Ron on this site that's very familiar with the RB's

3. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suspect that this is a repairable item and Paul should be able to offer at least some ideas. I would also think the focus rails and the basic associated hardware are interchangeable with the RB units.
    Oddly, I have a similar issue with my 4x5. However, the work around is easier with using tilts and such to obtain required focus.

4. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ed Sawyer from this site used to have an RZ service manual on his site, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

For the RB67 I have both the parts and the service manuals. The front standard seems removable, and therefore your situation seems fixable, although not a simple job.

5. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    RZ67 1.jpeg RZ67 2.jpeg RZ3.jpeg RZ4.jpeg

6. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do still have the service manuals, but have to update the site to point to the new hosting. will try to get that done soon. In the meantime if anyone needs them feel free to email/pm. I see Shutterfinger has some of the relevant pages posted too!

7. OP
    OP
    Simon Benton

Simon Benton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fixed! Thanks all for the advice and diagrams.
    I removed the 2 focusing knobs and the screws securing them which enabled the focusing pinion rod gear to be pushed clear of the track teeth. I could then adjust the front standard to be parallel with the film plane and then push the focusing pinion rod back in to engage the track teeth. Focusing now very smooth and parallel.

8. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done, congratulations.

9. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Hannibal Smith always said on the "A" Team: "I love it when a plan comes together."
    Well done......:cool:

10. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018