Members
Latest member
retina_restoration
Recent bookmarks

alexandre costa

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi guys, i recently bought a rather interesting Mamiya C330F that was made in Brazil, i've read that they build some in Brazil but not a lot of information appeared about them, here are some pictures.

dbw4.jpg

hjm9.jpg

grahamp

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have only seen photographs myself - there was/is a really nice example on Flickr somewhere. They were made in Manaus. It must have been due to trade restrictions or import tariffs, and only appears to have been the C330F. Interesting that the 80mm lens text is in English and not Portuguese. I am not too surprised that one made it to Portugal, but I really wonder how many were made and where they were sold. I would not have thought that Brazil alone would be a large enough market to warrant setting up a subsidiary, but it obviously made sense at the time.

The 'Fabricated' rather than 'Made' notation suggests assembly, but that might just be co-incidental.

pedrocruz

Shooter
Medium Format
I have only seen photographs myself - there was/is a really nice example on Flickr somewhere. They were made in Manaus. It must have been due to trade restrictions or import tariffs, and only appears to have been the C330F. Interesting that the 80mm lens text is in English and not Portuguese. I am not too surprised that one made it to Portugal, but I really wonder how many were made and where they were sold. I would not have thought that Brazil alone would be a large enough market to warrant setting up a subsidiary, but it obviously made sense at the time.

The 'Fabricated' rather than 'Made' notation suggests assembly, but that might just be co-incidental.

I guess it was a mistranslation, owing to the fact that products made in Brazil usually carry the inscription "Fabricado no Brasil".

Not only Mamiya, but Kodak, Fuji and even Zenit once had factories in Brazil, mainly located in Manaus and São José do Campos. Kodak operations once were fairly large, as much of both film and paper were produced here.

grahamp

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Interesting. Was the market all of South America, or just Brasil? It has always intrigued me ever since I first heard about the Mamiyas.

Of course, Kodak even had a factory or two in the USA, once upon a time :cool:

mgb74

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
IIRC, there was a time when Brazil had very onerous import duties on manufactured goods. So many companies set up subsidiaries to "manufacture" in Brazil. This amounted to doing the minimum amount of final assembly to comply with regulations.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
This camera is very rare, I have read about them but never even seen a photograph of one before.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom