Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

dustbunny

Shooter
Medium Format
Hello everyone

I just bought my first MF, a brand new Mamiya 645 PRO TL with a Mamiya 55mm f/2.8. I've been reading some threads and I seems that the 80mm 1.9 lens is very good, specially for low light photos. The thing is, I simply cannot find it for sale anywhere!

Can anyone please direct to a retailer?

I cant wait to start using the camera. I'm returning to film and this time I'm going to start developing my own film :smile:

Thanks!

Santiago

removed-user-1

KEH has the 80mm f/1.9 in several condition grades at the moment.

John Koehrer

Shooter
Multi Format
Just click on "camera store" & it will take you past the server error.

Travis Nunn

Shooter
Medium Format
if KEH's website is down, give them a call. They are great to deal with over the phone.

keithwms

Shooter
Multi Format
Hmm, these lenses used to be a dime a dozen. There seems to be quite a fascination with fast lenses now.

Well for what it's worth, I have three 80mm lenses for the 645 system: the 80/2.8 AF (superb but annoying to focus manually), the 80/4 floating macro (superb), and the 80/1.9 (pretty damn good). I see different uses and strengths for all of them. So I'd say get what will do the job and be patient, you'll get the lens you want eventually. Note that apparently not all 80/1.9s are the same, so don't be surprised if you don't get the best copy the first time. But they are (were?) so inexpensive only a year or so ago...

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The 80mm f1.9 was never very common, it had a reputation for not being as good as the 80mm f2.8 but that may well have been the early versions as I bought my 645's in the early 80's, how deserved that was I don't know, but the f2.8 lenses are all excellent and very sharp at all apertures.

Keith's right in mentioning that Mamiya redesigned their lenses a few times, so try and get one of the newer series.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

dustbunny

Shooter
Medium Format
Is there a way to identify the newer lens? I remember reading about a letter code somewhere...

Thanks everyone.
Santiago

OP
OP

dustbunny

Shooter
Medium Format
I see what you mean. My 55mm has an N after the 1:2.8 so that's good :smile:

I found some 1.9s at KEH, but truthfully I was expecting them to be cheaper...

I guess I'll use my own lens and wait for the price to go down.

One thing that I did not know is that I would need a lager MF lens to get the equivalent of my 50mm prime (35mm film). I believe I need an 80mm for that, right?

Thanks,
Santiago.

Leighgion

Shooter
Medium Format
One thing that I did not know is that I would need a lager MF lens to get the equivalent of my 50mm prime (35mm film). I believe I need an 80mm for that, right?

You need a longer lens to get the same field of view on medium format as 35, yes. There's no perfect math for this, especially since the aspect ratios are different, but a way to get a rough idea is to take the focal length for a 645 lens and divide it by 1.6. So...

80 / 1.6 = 50

Therefore, an 80mm lens on 645 format is roughly the equivalent of using a 50mm on 135 and is thusly a "normal" lens for 645. This is the reason why as you go to larger and larger formats, you have less and less depth of field at the same fields of view since longer focal lengths have less DoF.

Obligatory 80mm 1.9 visual propoganda:

3682884781_e3c4bb5a4c.jpg

OP
OP

dustbunny

Shooter
Medium Format
More and more reasons to get a 1.9 :smile:

I'll learn the camera and medium with my 55mm and keep an eye for a bargain 1.9. I'll get one eventually!

Santiago.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom