MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The F is better.
+1, there's more plastic in the body of the S and the camera is very fiddly to open,plus the focusing screens are unique to.the S, the F screens are common to the previous models that can accept interchangeable one's.

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
One of my first loves.

Either camera, they are such high quality machines. The lens makes the most impact on these tlrs. You will be very happy seeing the negatves for the first time.

Burn lots of film!
Enjoy.

OP
OP
dodphotography
Shooter
Multi Format
Paul, any recommendations on glass. I picked up a body at 280 which slightly above market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodphotography
Shooter
Multi Format
I think that's the plan, if only to keep cost down. I'd like the 55 but not at the asking price

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I'm very happy with my current 65mm + 135mm kit.

BradS

Shooter
35mm
I think that's the plan, if only to keep cost down. I'd like the 55 but not at the asking price

I had both the 55mm and the 65mm, both in black shutters. Bought the 55mm first, hated it and so sold it. The one I had was utterly useless without a lenshood. Happened upon a very nice 65mm a few years later and it pretty much lived on the back up body. The difference between the two was staggering.

I think, in retrospect, I would have been very happy with just the 65 and the 105....but, I ended up using the 80mm about 50% of the time.

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The optical quality of the 55mm lenses is notoriously variable, I had to buy three before I got a good one, and that was about thirty years ago and they were all brand new from the shop.

PeterB

Shooter
Medium Format
Paul, any recommendations on glass.

C330F for the above reasons, plus it is more popular so you'll get more spare parts by sourcing an old body.

The 80mm is the best quality and the one I bought first, but I found that focal length just doesn't have enough field of view for the landscapes I do so I bought the 55mm. I was aware it has inferior resolution but with my max planned print sizes of 20x24" , I don't expect it will be much of an issue in practice (I could stand corrected on that).

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
The optical quality of the 55mm lenses is notoriously variable, I had to buy three before I got a good one, and that was about thirty years ago and they were all brand new from the shop.

I guess it wasn't just me then! I bought my first 55mm about 25yrs ago(maybe more) and I'm sorry to say it was a dog. Even stopped down it wasn't what I thought it should be. I was setting up and buying/selling at camera shows with a friend and had access to everything I could imagine. I sold that 55mm and bought another that looked just like it had come off the factory floor. To make a long story short - I unloaded that one too! I've never complained about any other lens in the lineup, but the 55mm was a dud for me. I kept a 65mm until I sold the Mamiya system off and while not as wide, it performed super. That's just my experience and should not stop anyone from buying a 55mm, but be warn that you might have to try a few. JohnW

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I guess it wasn't just me then! I bought my first 55mm about 25yrs ago(maybe more) and I'm sorry to say it was a dog. Even stopped down it wasn't what I thought it should be. I was setting up and buying/selling at camera shows with a friend and had access to everything I could imagine. I sold that 55mm and bought another that looked just like it had come off the factory floor. To make a long story short - I unloaded that one too! I've never complained about any other lens in the lineup, but the 55mm was a dud for me. I kept a 65mm until I sold the Mamiya system off and while not as wide, it performed super. That's just my experience and should not stop anyone from buying a 55mm, but be warn that you might have to try a few. JohnW
I thought it was just me too John, but even if the 65mm lens is a good one I don't think it's worth buying if you already have the 80mm it's too close as to be a waste of money, just as owning the 80mm and the 105mm are because the difference in angle of view doesn't justify the expense.

OP
OP
dodphotography
Shooter
Multi Format
I thought it was just me too John, but even if the 65mm lens is a good one I don't think it's worth buying if you already have the 80mm it's too close as to be a waste of money, just as owning the 80mm and the 105mm are because the difference in angle of view doesn't justify the expense.

well, I'm happy... went with a C330F and 80mm lens for decent money.

I needed to check the ego at the door and realize a 3.5E Type 3 Rollei wasn't in the wheelhouse. I'm still paying off an M6.

Xmas

Shooter
35mm RF
A 65 &135mm make a fine pair depending on shooting style.

pbromaghin

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Agreeing with the others that if you have the 80 you should skip the 105 to the 135. The 105 is nice on its own, though. I also have the 185 which I have barely used. Come to think of it, the 80 is so good I hardly use any of the others.

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
Look for blue dot lenses although the older chrome lenses are just as nice... But older n i'm sure have battle scars.

Blue dot means it has a blue dot in the cocking lever... black body.
Main thing no matter what lens you get... Fungus is your main concern, not reversable and more common in these old lenses...

then look for oil on the blades.., another common problem but a cla can cure that.

Since you are buying from KEH, They have a great return policy n their rating system is excelent. I get BGN rated stuff that looks brand new, never been dissapointed yet.

Which lens you need would be a personal choice depending on what you are shooting.

The 65 and 135 are a nice complimentry pair.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom