Magic Brush

Discussion in 'Wet and Dry Hybrid prints' started by Bob Carnie, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am looking for a high quality line of brushes, I have one that is 4 inches wide Red Sable and is perfect but after thousands of coats its starting to fall into bad shape.

I do not use this brush to coat gum and pigment , rather I use foam brush to coat the pigment and gum mixture on watercolour paper and then I use this brush to smooth out the coating, I am not looking for any synthetic brushes btw.

I thought Daniel Smith sold these but apparently not now.

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    You could buy 2 same size "hake" brushes (goat's hair also not too pricy) take them both apart and lay them one over the other and restich them back into one handle or have a new handle made that will clamp them.

4. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    By "fall into bad shape" what exactly do you mean? How do you take care of it?

I've never seen a real red sable brush that large. Must've cost a fortune! Are you sure it is real sable? If you want to stay with a natural fiber, see if you can find a Mongoose brush. It is a thicker hair than sable, but has a fine point. Nice spring to it as well. Back when I painted I loved them. If you want a 4" one you might have to have it made. For a 4" natural hair brush you might have to go with a varnish brush.

There is always the Richeson 9010.....

5. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I will post an image... the brush got damaged by my assistant (yes blame it on her) When coating I only used this brush as a feather touch smoother, She used as the brush to coat the paper and I think did not wash properly , basically the end got shattered and bent
    Not sure its red sable, but yes it did cost a fortune , bought it 1997era. so it has done its time.

the Richeson 9010 sounds like what I am looking for I will investigate...thanks
    EDIT.. I looked and I do have this brush but it is not the one I am discussing, I will have to post and image.

I wish I knew someone with a camera .

6. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Richeson 9010 for PtPd. It came recommended by Kerik Kouklis. It was expensive, but not silly expensive. Properly taken care of, it should last a long time. It comes in a 4" width.

7. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Now that we have (inevitably) gotten to synthetic brushes, you might consider going to the Above Ground, near the Art Gallery, and trying an Above Ground Gold Toray SH Wash 4" brush, on sale for $37.02. I cannot tell the difference from a Richeson 9010 on Plat/palladium.

8. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Bill is the point soft as a babys tussh... I am using it as a final soft touch I am not charging the brush... I will give it a go and see.

9. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob,

I wasn't going to mention these: http://www.pgi.ac/content/view/236/75/lang,en/ since you said no synthetic. I've used a Richeson 9010 for many years for pt/pd coating, but recently started using these handmade Japanese brushes and I'm very pleased with them. Like the Richeson, not exactly cheap but take a look and see what you think.

10. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    These brushes look awesome, is there a North American distributer? how to go about ordering??

11. Alan9940

Alan9940 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob,

No North American distributor that I'm aware of. I sent an e-mail to info@pgi.ac telling them which brushes I wanted and asking how to go about ordering. They sent an invoice to my Paypal account and within a few days I received the brushes (west coast) in the mail. Very smooth and easy transaction.

Good luck!

12. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ok thanks Alan

13. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Compared to my 1 year old Grandchild, yes.

14. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ok I will go to above ground and try this one out... liking Alan's brush will give that a go as well

15. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I know this is not exactly what you were asking about, however if the conversation includes the Richeson 9010 brush, these are worth a look. www.rexart.com/silverbrush-sterling-studio-brushes.html . I use both and the sterling studio in my opinion are good quality at a more favorable price.

16. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    got a message on the site you linked and did not open

17. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Bob, before you give up on Ol' Faithful, get a tub of this stuff which should be available at your local art store-

http://www.dickblick.com/products/the-masters-brush-cleaner-and-preserver/

and clean the brush with it. Really work it in and rinse it several times. After the brush is clean, work it in again, but don't rinse it out. Form the brush back to the original shape, and leave it to dry for a couple of days. The process should restore the brush, save you some scratch, and let you keep your assistant...

Hope that helps....

18. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    thank you. I will look into this product as well.

19. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Works for me, however google Sterling Studio Brush. That might work.