Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Someone heard from someone who knows someone that may know someone who heard from a supposed source that something may happen.

And they also have rumors of several photographers using the new model(s) in the field. 😁 Where are they getting Ektar? Maybe Leica called up a secret old phone (land line) in Rochester and smuggled out a couple bricks.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Nor would I. What bastards! Idiots with beards and man buns ranting on about the importance of a red dot or whatnot!

That said, I choose to carry a camera because I enjoy using it. Not because of who else uses it.

I enjoy the rangefinders, and mine is lovely. Very early M3. I like how super quiet the shutter is and find it easy to focus. Even with 1950s vintage glass it takes lovely photographs. And it's a nice form factor, fits well in my hands, takes very little space in my bag.

Strangely, none of that changes because of some internet hipster's opinions.

God help you if your favorite thing becomes popular with the wrong people. But, you do you.

Yeah, it happens sometimes, right?

I was always in to crappy old trucks. The first vehicle I ever owned, age 19, was a Studebaker pickup. That ratty old thing was a blast. Life, sold it, always wanted another. Seven years ago I bought an International for $900 and brought it back to life. Now, through no fault of my own, about that same time, old pickups with “patina paint” became all the rage. Now there I was, unintentionally virtue signaling my manhood and getting attention at every stop light. Almost as good as owning an M6, amirite?

My personal pretentious bourgeois necklace of desperation is an M3 and dual range Summicron mit goggles. Talk about anachronisms upon anachronisms. Still, I would feel better about myself if more people asked me if it was a Leica.

“Oh, this old thing? Why, yes it is a Leica! I’d offer to take your portrait and send you a bespoke silver gelatin print, but you see, there’s not any film in it! I simply can’t afford any after buying my Leica! Would you like to know how much I paid? No, really, please ask me!”

Hey, if anywhere, it’s on Photrio that I’d expect to find most representatives of that last earnest ten percent of M owners.
May your stigma be lessened by the quality of your work. ;-)

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
I have an M4-2 that I bought long enough ago, I thought the $700 it cost was too high (and it came in a box). Now I won't take it anywhere, because it's "worth" too much. I bought it to see if I liked it better than the IIIa I had at the time (I didn't).

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Sentiment like displayed in this thread is why I’d never ever consider a Leica.

For me it’s the sentiment in my hands
Yeah, it happens sometimes, right?

I was always in to crappy old trucks. The first vehicle I ever owned, age 19, was a Studebaker pickup. That ratty old thing was a blast. Life, sold it, always wanted another. Seven years ago I bought an International for $900 and brought it back to life. Now, through no fault of my own, about that same time, old pickups with “patina paint” became all the rage. Now there I was, unintentionally virtue signaling my manhood and getting attention at every stop light. Almost as good as owning an M6, amirite?

My personal pretentious bourgeois necklace of desperation is an M3 and dual range Summicron mit goggles. Talk about anachronisms upon anachronisms. Still, I would feel better about myself if more people asked me if it was a Leica.

“Oh, this old thing? Why, yes it is a Leica! I’d offer to take your portrait and send you a bespoke silver gelatin print, but you see, there’s not any film in it! I simply can’t afford any after buying my Leica! Would you like to know how much I paid? No, really, please ask me!”

I always ask if it’s a YASHICA?

AZD

Shooter
35mm
Rumor: Leica is planning to bring back the M6. Leicarumors website

There’s also a bit of content on the Leica site singing the praises of film. Meaningless speculation, but interesting about the timing.

M6 is the cool kid right now…

On another related forum there’s a telling thread by a photographer who just received an M6 and was concerned about the odd noises it was making at low shutter speeds. Now, I am not making fun, nor criticizing in any way, as we all take different paths… but I do have to wonder about an environment that propels people from zero-to-$M6 without ever hearing the whirring mechanisms of ANY camera.

By the way, I have it on good authority (um, I just made it up…) that Leica will soon be releasing the brand new “$M6”. Or maybe it’s the “M6-$”, or “M$-6”. I guess we’ll find out!

Steven Lee

Shooter
Medium Format
people from zero-to-$M6 without ever hearing the whirring mechanisms of ANY camera.

From zero? I have owned close to 20 mechanical cameras: German, Japanese, Soviet, etc. The Leica's shutter below 1/15s does not sound like any other, there's the distinct ticking at the end. I can see why someone may be concerned upon hearing it for the first time.

Although I agree with you, there are definitely folks who go for a Leica as their first film camera. This also makes sense to me. From the perspective of a 20 or 30-something professional, a $4K high end camera is not unreasonable because that's what they've been paying for high end digital gear anyway.

I will also say something controversial for this venue: the manufacturing techniques and materials have improved, not declined over time. When I got back into film, my first body was also a Leica. Why? Because every "lesser" 35mm camera felt like a crude Soviet rifle compared to my digital bodies: loose tolerances, harsh rattle of shutters, exposed screws, squeaky plastic, etc. Leica and maybe a couple of pro SLRs were the only film cameras I could find that matched the build quality of my digital gear. Leica was the only rangefinder in that small group: it doesn't sound like a steel bucket filled with bolt and nuts dropped on a concrete slab when you press the shutter button.

AZD

Shooter
35mm
Yeah, I guess I could see the post-shutter buzz as unusual, though a good old Spotmatic also makes the 1/30 and 1/15 bouncing noise.

I hear you on the manufacturing thing. Honestly, good for Leica to keep doing what they do. I can’t stand fiddly, crude mechanics either. I have taken cameras apart to add dampening material in certain areas just to make them less sproingy sounding. Leica already came sproing-free.

Rayt

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
An existing digital M user might be tempted by a new film Leica especially when this person already has the lenses. I did that but the other way around.

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

I bought the 35 mit goggles (not the fancy dual range) from Huss. It's a great lens, but conspicuously silly. Far and away the '50sest thing I own. I referred to it as Buddy Holly with a trilby.

I got it because I like the camera, and I like 35mm, and it was a fair price. But between that and the leicameter (which still works and is accurate -- blows my mind) it draws attention.

I have been on the leading end of trends for a long time. I started back to film right as everyone else did, during the lockdown stupidity a couple years back, so I guess here's another one. It kind of sucks when you like something and then hipsters ruin it and make it expensive, but it also kind of sucks when nobody does what you like to do so there are no supplies, no community.

Now, when I see a hipster douche with a film camera, I will often talk to him. Usually turns out to be a nice person and sometimes teaches me something.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
You‘ll find poseurs in any realm.
It’s all a question of degree.

Nothing is ever absolute.
A little showing off is OK.
Status signaling is a human basic.
Avoiding that would be impossible and would be flushing the baby with the bathwater.

What is too much you ask?
Again, there is no absolute.
One indicator is looking at the work they produce with their Leica.
Another is how many times they mention the name Leica either as humblebrag (veiled complaining) or outright brag.
Another is how much they insist on wearing it as a necklace all the time.

Also don’t confuse aspiration, proselytizing fascination and pride in own work with conspicuous consumption.

Barnack users are a completely different bunch. Some pretend they prefer Barnack because they couldn’t afford an M.
Others genuinely like Barnacks and produce wonderful work with them.
You don’t spot them often though, because they usually have the camera in hand, or inside a jacket or bag.

Blah blah blah. I’m actually petitioning Leica to make the red dot bigger, perhaps illuminate it because I need the plebs to know I have better taste than the them.
In the meantime Leica suggested this as a solution, and while it is a stop gap measure I can report that it works very well.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Blah blah blah. I’m actually petitioning Leica to make the red dot bigger, perhaps illuminate it because I need the plebs to know I have better taste than the them.
In the meantime Leica suggested this as a solution, and while it is a stop gap measure I can report that it works very well.

Also add an mode to that the red dot can flash brightly on command.

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format

Every time I see this I think "Man, someone should sell that as a kit on ebay"

Go whole hog. Have model for the advertisement be about 25, with a handlebar mustache, taking a photo of a fixie bike in an urban setting that makes people think of Brooklyn...

• jnk
  • Deleted
  • Reason: argumentative

etn

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Leica was eliminated from my list because it is a range finder. Still there is nothing the feels like a Leica M series, but close still means no cigar.

C'mon Sirius, the feel of a Hasselblad surely tops the feel of a Leica? :wink:

I personally like rangefinders, as I can focus without my glasses. What I see in the viewfinder might not be 100% in focus but I see enough to compose and to align the rangefinder patch.

And while we're at it, although I love Hasselblads, the Leica goes whenever I want a camera (=most of the time) but the goal of the trip/walk/event is not photography (=also most of the time.)

Now I could cite Huss's comment on goat cheese a few posts above... to each her/his own :smile:

etn

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Leica currently makes two film cameras, the M-A (without meter) and MP (with meter).

From a functionality point of view, the MP is exactly where the M6 is. Give it a bit more time and there will be no point in buying an M6 anymore, as the MP will hardly be more expensive.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom