M42 to Nikon trouble.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Stock Dektol, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey all,

I purchased a M42 to Nikon adapter a while ago so I could use my Carl Zeiss 58mm Biotar. When I attached the mount to one of my bodies I had a terrible time trying to get the adapter off. The mount would not budge. Before I try this on one of my better bodies I want to make sure that I won't have any problems... how do I get this thing off it sticks? The camera that I tested on was a N55. I hope to attach it to an EM and possibly a D*g*t*l D70s.

2. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there should be a release lever included with the adapter to get it off the body. There's a little spring that needs to be pushed down in order for it to come off the body.

3. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that explains what the small hole on the adapter is for. This thing came with no "release lever though" is there any way I can make a make-shift one?

4. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    could you post a photo of the adapter? Each one is slightly different depending on whom made it.

5. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this helps the box says Nikon 42X1 although there is no brand.

Sorry for the poor pictures.

6. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmmm... tricky. You'd need the right size spring and something to push it down with. Maybe get another cheap F-mount, like off an old extension tube or a body that's not functional, and see if you can make a piece that will fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this spring you guys speak of actually inside the body of the camera near the mirror?

Does anyone have example pictures?

Because as you can see the adapter itself has no spring. This is not an adaptall.

8. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found some sort of an instruction

To remove the adapter you should unpress fixative pin and turn the adapter anticlockwise.

this is from an ebay auction. I don't know if this helps.

9. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look on the adapter, there should be a little medal flap on it. If you remove that spring from the adapter, you don't have to worry about it locking on the camera. You do have to worry about the adapter falling off if you twist too hard, but not having it get stuck again. Also, do you have a link to the ebay auction? That looks like a pretty cheesy adapter.

10. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, no metal flap, no spring no nothing. Other people in other threads just say I need to use brute force. What is this thing about?

11. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Make sure the adapter and the lens mount are good and clean. And, of course, you are pressing the Nikon lens release when you take off the adapted lens--right?

12. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, the mount is on now but... I think the reason I can't get it off is because the lens release does not operate the pin to the left near the button which has poked through A hole in the adapter. Somehow other lens' must engage this. Now I have to press that while turing the adapter and pressing the button. How is one person supposed to do this?

13. OP
    OP
    Stock Dektol

Stock Dektol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Problem Solved! I manually put the first pin down with an implement and the adapter came right off. The normal lens' have a small "hole" that recives that pin and "takes care" of it.

Thanks for the help!

-- James.