Lurker signs on from Montana

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the PHOTRIO Community' started by VinceInMT, Dec 5, 2017.

1. VinceInMT

VinceInMT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have frequented these threads for a long time and recently signed on.

I have been a serious hobbyist in photography since 1973 when I was introduced to darkroom process while in the Army stationed in Upstate New York. That the Army provided darkrooms in their hobby shops helped keep my sanity while I did my service there in New York, then New Jersey, and finally a year in Europe.

After getting out I took a job in a medium-size color photo-finishing lab in Southern California and worked my way from film-cutter, to printer, to quality control tech. I did that for about 5 years on the graveyard shift while plugging away at at college classes on the GI Bill.

I left that to work as a mechanical drafter and kept taking college classes with a long-term goal of becoming a high school teacher. I eventually obtained my degree in Industrial Arts, concentration Photography, and, a few years later, moved to Montana and changed careers as a high school teacher (drafting, technology, computer programming.) I retired from that 5 years ago.

All during this time, ever since I got out of the Army, I have had my own darkroom. First was a bathroom in an apartment. Next was the spare bedroom in a rented duplex. Finally the spare bedroom in the first house I purchased. Except for the bathroom one, all were dry. Once I moved to Montana I was able to set one up in a window-less basement room where I installed a drain line and hot and cold running water.

I have tended to be a haptic photographer, letting the processes and my interaction with them drive my creativity and the resulting images. I love experimenting in the darkroom and, to some degree, see the camera as just a necessary tool for having darkroom adventures.

Since I retired I decided to expand my haptic approach and to embrace something more visual and conceptual. To that end, I have enrolled in a Bachelor of Fine Arts program at Montana State University-Billings. I have 5 semesters behind me and absolutely love it. Courses include visual and 3D art, art history, as well as digital media. The professors are great and are making a point of pushing me in that visual-conceptual direction I wish to expand.

Technical-wise, I work in 35mm and medium format. I have some 40-year old Minolta 35mm cameras and an assortment of lenses and accessories. For medium format I have a complete Mamiya 645 system and also a Rolliecord VB. For exposure I rely on my Gossen Lunasix3. In the darkroom I use a Beseler 23C with Schneider lenses and have an assortment of other tools like an Arkay drum washer and a ferrotyping drum dryer. Over the years I have processed pretty much everything except Kodachrome including lots of E-6 and Cibachromes. I done cyanotypes and and lots of pinhole photography. I have also combined my darkroom skills with my interest in printmaking and silk-screened some of my images.

While I have done digital photography, film is still what I like. I have a loaner Canon Rebel T3 from the school and have had some fun with it, but I doubt I will be abandoning film any time soon.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Photrio.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Welcome to APUG Photrio

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Welcome, Vincein, from Northern England, believe it or not, my youngest son has been to Billings Montana when he was at university in the U.S. and touring around on a Greyhound bus in the vacation.

5. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Photrio! I've been to Missoula and Bozeman, but not Billings. Yet. Gorgeous areas out there.

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Vince. Glad to have you with us.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Come out of the darkroom and lurk no more.

8. artcarbuncle

artcarbuncle Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome and greetings from over in Livingston.

9. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome from a darkroom in Texas.

10. macfred

macfred Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to have you here - welcome to Photrio !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.