List of Color Chemicals and Where To Get Them

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Greg Davis, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses. I ran my first batch of C-41 with the Kodak chemicals last night and I am blown away by the results. I used up developer from a tetenal kit I had on the go, so the biggest difference was using separate bleach and fix. After using blix for the last two years, I'm dumbfounded. These results are superior in every way. The biggest difference is the reduction in grain and increase in sharpness. It's beautiful. 35mm almost seemed unusable before, but the results I just got here have true life. I even sense a larger tonal range, and deeper blacks. Very happy. Thank you all.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for posting this. It is what I have been saying all along!

PE

3. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I
    I must have missed that then. I thought the only difference was stability/permanence.

4. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Among other things, non-standard bleaches, fixes and blixes can leave silver behind causing degradation of color and increased grain. A non-standard developer can cause a lot of curve mismatches including crossover and bad color reproduction. This might come from the wrong ratio or type of halide salts or buffer.

PE

5. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PE, what are your thoughts on the developer that comes with the Unicolor C-41 Powder Kit? I was going to develop a bunch of film today with the developer I have, but if the results I'd get from proper kodak developer should be noticeably better, I will wait until it comes in the mail.

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cannot say as I have not used that kit. There was an old review in a magazine that is probably out of date now, but someone must have tested it more recently. Sorry I can't help. However, I can say that use of a blix instead of a real bleach then fix cycle is the root of many problems.

PE

7. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No problem. Thank you anyways.

8. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is what I've always used so I have nothing to compare it to. Many here have used it (do a search) and I don't recall any complaints, but they too may not have done rigorous comparisons with bleach-fix kits. Its cheap, its easy, its available in 1 liter kits, and it works. Thats what I know.

9. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup. It's all I had used up until recently as well. I asked because I have a bunch left, and I wonder if I should use it, or wait for my Kodak developer to show up in the mail. I've decided to develop some unimportant rolls with it, and wait on the Kodak developer for more important stuff.

10. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  11. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    as I suspected they are wrong. I ordered through their website although they told me I wouldn't be able to, and it has already left New Jersey. So lets just keep this our little secret. Don't try to order just one over the phone, because they won't let you.

12. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I've now put about 20 rolls through my F2 kit, without changing the fix, and the last batch I did I felt the colour was a bit off. This leaves me with two questions:

A) Has anyone figured out how many rolls you can get out of 1L of fix before you should replace it?
    B) Am I able to "refix" the negatives that I like from the previous shoot to see if I can get better colour out of them? Or will this introduce other issues?

I know I should have been doing a regular clearing test with the fix but I kind of lost track of how many rolls I was actually putting through. I did one today and, to be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for... I guess this is something you learn over time :smile:

Any advice would be super appreciated.

13. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Kuby ... A lot of variable affect fixer capacity so there's no exact answer. A dozen should be easy. Two dozen might be pushing it. It all depends. Even so, you can absolutely refix film using fresh fixer. But refix a clear piece of film or a single film strip in your fresh fixer first to see if it clears further.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    @bvy thanks for the response. I'll be testing my fix more often moving forward.. Similarly, regarding bleach III, any idea how many rolls I should be able to put it through 1L before replacing? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to use the F2 kit.

16. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey @Greg Davis I'm curious to know if the Bleach III you list here is the same bleach as comes in the F2 kit, or does it require starter?

17. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    @Kuby You can refix your negatives, but if I were you, I'd also rebleach them first. If fixing was incomplete, then your film might have printed out, so refixing alone might not be as effective.

18. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of a good way to actually test the bleach. I believe there are test strips you can buy. But it's pretty tough stuff and by some accounts will last indefinitely (within reason). In fact, I think you'll lose the bleach to more practical things like attrition or dilution, before it goes "bad." Add a stop bath and rinse between the developer and bleach step to help maintain the pH of the bleach. Aerate it (shake it up) periodically to help regenerate it. And maybe filter it occasionally if it looks sludgy. When the level drops below your desired working quantity, add fresh to replenish it. I put over 100 rolls through one liter of working solution (with replenishment). That might be excessive, but quality never suffered.

19. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider that the C41 fix can have as little as 1/3 the capacity of a B&W film fixer and as much as equal to a B&W fixer.

This is just a guide.

You can always refix, wash and then treat in the final rinse, if you use the normal process times and temperatures. That is, as long as you use fresh fixer.

PE

20. nevintagefilms

nevintagefilms Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hi All,

I’m finally about to start using the chemicals we listed here in this site. I understand that the F2 kit should probably cover bleaching and fixing for at least 20 rolls, but how about the developer? How many rolls are people getting out of this, with starter:

http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/c-41-dev-repl-lorr-tm-5l-ek-kodak-xhaz-hazsp1-832-0608-8231672/

I plan to calculate and mix 1L at a time. How many rolls do you think I can pull out of that 1L? How much should I increase the developing time on each subsequent use?

I’ll be using a 30/32oz (almost the 1L) tank to process two rolls or 120 or 4 rolls of 35mm per shot.

Thanks!

21. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would mix it all at once. The component chemicals don't keep as well as mixed working solution. I use the developer twice then discard it. If you push it beyond that, you lose consistency. You'll have to experiment to see how much time to add to compensate. The F2 kit has a lot more capacity than 20 rolls.

22. Ed Sawyer

Ed Sawyer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I get about 44-48 rolls of 35mm or 120 from 5L of c41 dev, using it one-shot. A package to make 20L of dev replenisher is about $24 at UniquePhoto.

23. nevintagefilms

nevintagefilms Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Wowa. That’s a lot. But I bet you’re using a rotary processor of some kind to get those numbers in one shot? I’ll be using a 32oz (2 rolls 120 or 4 rolls 35mm) tank. I’d have to reuse the same developer about 4 times to get those numbers with 120.

24. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with bvy to mix all in one go. Part C of this assemblage has a small volume of liquid, and measuring precisely would be difficult.

25. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do use a rotary processor, a Phototherm SSK4. I am sure I could re-use the dev if needed, but it's cheap enough to not worry about it at this point. Plus, always want to make sure the dev is fresh so using it one-shot is one way to ensure that.

26. Phillip Nondorf

Phillip Nondorf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello! So finally getting ready to dive into using seperate checmicals rather than the press kits, this thread has been an amazing resource (confusing a bit at times, but overall awesome). Just one question about the final rinse. Seems link the one recommended here is out of stock pretty much everywhere, with several sites listing it as no longer available. Searching around I found someone recommending this:

Kodak 5L C41 Final Rinse and Replenisher
    https://www.uniquephoto.com/chemistry/kodak-c-41-rinse-replenisher-tm-5-liters-8673170/

Is that an adequate substitute?

Thanks so much!