Linhof Technorama 617SIII

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by RattyMouse, Jul 28, 2017.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I'm looking at the Badger Graphic web site and see this camera called a Linhof Technorama 617SIII for sale for the amazing price of $5800 without a lens.

Do people really pay this kind of money for just a camera body? I guess it's only a few thousand bucks more than an M7, but my god, this camera is expensive.

2. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you need it...

3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a little under B&H's price. They still offer a Horseman SW617 kit with 90mm Schneider lens for $9655. Interestingly, the Horseman 72mm kit is only $7513.

None of these are very expensive. You want expensive, look for cine cameras. I'll never forget the late afternoon I was in the lobby of the Managua Intercontinental (the old one) waiting for my dinner companions to arrive. Two white vans pulled up, disgorged half a dozen men who extracted aluminum cases from them and made a pyramid of cases in the middle of the lobby. They topped the pyramid with an ARRI 535. I'd never seen a $250,000 camera before.

4. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oh yea, $250k or more...for the body! Add a few more hundreds of thousands for the Zeiss Super Speed primes and a zoom. Which is chicken feed when you add up the cost of everyone needed to shoot with the thing and buy some film. Amazingly that 535 is now worth just a few thousand $.

5. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, but I disagree. Nearly 10 grand for a camera IS expensive. Cine cameras are irrelevant to this discussion.

I bet the sales volume for this camera is next to nothing. I guess they want to make huge margins over a moderate amount of volume.

It must work, so good for them.

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RattyMouse, you're just a two-bit chiseler. So am I. Welcome to the club.

I don't know whether you need what a Technorama 617SIII can do badly enough to scrape up the money and buy one. I doubt it. I don't have the need or the spare cash. Its still not that expensive. A one-off equivalent from, say, skgrimes would cost more.

ARRI 535s are indeed relevant. They aren't toys, they're tools and they earned their keep. The Linhof whose price offends you isn't a toy either. I can't read your mind, suspect that you evaluate cameras as toys and don't think about the value they produce for working professionals.

7. OP
    OP
    RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to know how many people, worldwide, NEED a technorama. No way to know, but I would sure love to find this out.

8. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You know, there are a few things I prefer in a camera...

A focusing mechanism, such as SLR, ground glass or rangefinder.
    Exposure setting of 1 second to a reasonably high speed, 1/250 or so.
    f/stop settings, preferably f/2 or brighter, but understand that LF and specialty lenses might be slower.

But this expensive camera you are looking at does scale focusing.
    I wouldn't spend that much on a camera that didn't have a rangefinder.

Haaa, yes I have spent about that much on a camera that does have a rangefinder.

9. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is the camera Koudelka used to use. Who can argue with that? :smile:

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There are a couple other Linhof's on Badger I wouldn't have a problem owning and using... Paying for would be a different matter.