Threads
Members
Latest member
perfectiontips
Recent bookmarks

Bokeh Guy

Shooter
35mm
Okay, I'm close to getting a Linhof Master and need some ideas of a good tripod. I have a Gitzo Reporter, but really don't know if that's up for the job. I have a Gitzo ballhead for it, but it doesn't work well even with my Rolleiflex. So any suggestions?

I'm not interested in one of those humongous tripods that are on the old Linhof ads. I plan to do field portraiture so I need one that's stiff, but still fairly transportable.

Venchka

Shooter
35mm
I have a Technika V, Speed Graphic & Zone VI field camera. They all do well on CF Gitzo 3 Series, Bogen 3021S and Zone VI Junior. I would suggest a 3-way pan tilt head. The Gitzo 1270M, 1370M or 1570M would work well. Also the Bogen 3-way geared head, model 410 I think?

With leaf shutters, my camera bag/backpack hanging below the head and a steadying hand on the top of the legs where the head sits, just about ANY tripod will work.

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
I wish I could get one, but for a master technika, Ed Burtynsky uses a manfrotto GEARED 405/410 head. It is very handy in leveling a 4x5, with FULL geared movements. It will hold a MT, let alone a rolleiflex, perfectly fine(bigger version, I think its the 405). They aren't heavy either!

for tripods, try feisol. They have some lightweights, but since you didn't say whether you need more height, or what materials you prefer, CF or aluminum.

http://www.feisol.net/

gitzo's are great, and last years. you already have one, so you know :smile:!

-Dan

David A. Goldfarb

Shooter
Large Format
Less expensive, look for a used Marchioni or Leitz Tiltall (these are better than the current version and are about the same price--around $100 in good condition, and that includes the head). These were made to support a 4x5" press camera and weigh about 6 lbs. If you want something fancier, a Gitzo 3 series is right for a 4x5", aluminum or carbon fiber depending on your needs and budget. The leg locking collars on the current Gitzo 6x CF tripods are a major improvement over the older ones. I actually use a 5-series 6x CF (GT5540LS) legset, but I whittled my tripod collection down to two, since now I could get a "big" tripod that was the same weight as what I formerly considered my "medium" tripod, and I use it for much larger cameras as well.

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
david,

didn't think of the til-tall(same as star-d, at least early ones). I have one too, first tripod. Great tripods!

-Dan

Venchka

Shooter
35mm
david,

didn't think of the til-tall(same as star-d, at least early ones). I have one too, first tripod. Great tripods!

-Dan

As I recall, the Star-D was a Tiltall clone. Not as good as the original. The Leitz labelled Tiltalls came later. Same tripod. More expensive with the Leitz label.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Koehrer

Shooter
Multi Format
The Reporter legset is very much the same as the Tiltall with the advantage of being able to change the head.
I'd pick up another head like the 410 or 3-way panhead & try it. If you think you would need a heavier leg set you could get that later.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom