Light edge on image

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Carriage, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Carriage

Carriage Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got some scans of a roll of film back from the lab and I've noticed that I've got a lighter edge on the image below.
    [​IMG]

I've also noticed this on a negative shot with the same body and lens (spotmatic SPII and takumar 55 f2) that I wet printed and developed myself so I don't think it's the lab. I believe that I've seen the same thing happen when the same lens was mounted on a dslr but now that I think about it, I was using it to digitise negs shot with the spotmatic. What could be causing this? It doesn't happen on every frame, though due to the nature of the images it can be harder to tell if it has actually happened or not. Based on the shape, location and lack of colour issues I assume there's something wrong with the shutter at certain speeds.

I don't have the negatives at hand so I can't provide a shot of the negatives themselves until I organise picking them up but perhaps late tonight or maybe tomorrow I can get a photo of the older affected negatives..

2. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Including light seals.

4. OP
    OP
    Carriage

Carriage Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry I wasn't clear. The negative I wet printed was black and white. All my colour stuff is scanned. Given that it appears on both methods I'm thinking it's in the taking stage rather than the printing stage.

If it's on the left of the image, would that not mean it's on the right of the camera (due to upside downness)? I think the spotmatic shutter goes left to right so would that mean it's more likely an issue when stopping?

5. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree that it could be a light leak, or slow/sticky shutter, or both.

6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When winding curtains move left to right, upon release they move right to left.
    Being Spotmatics are manual cameras open the aperture to f2 or remove the lens, set the shutter to 1 second, cock the shutter, open the back, point the camera at an evenly lit light colored wall. watch the second hand of a clock and trip the shutter as the second hand reaches a second/minute mark. Observe that the second curtain closes as the second hand reaches the next second mark.
    Tolerance is .8 to 1.2 seconds, about the width of the second hand either side of the next mark on most clocks/watches.
    Light leaks will often extend into the rebate area and between frames, extra exposure limited to the the image frame is shutter or light leak from the viewfinder or mirror. Strong side lighting coming into the viewfinder eyepiece can cause light flares in the image frame. The only way to eliminate this type of light leak is to block the light source from the viewfinder eyepeice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.