Lens sharpness for different systems

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Grev, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Grev

Grev Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a site that compares the sharpness of similar lenses from different companies? I have the Mamiya systems and was wondering if putting other manufacturer's lenses (through mount adapters) on these systems be viable.

Specifically, I am interested in finding out the resolution for these 645 lenses, the 80mm f1.9 (or f2.8) and the 55mm f2.8 in comparison to others, I guess mainly for Pentax, Zeiss or maybe Bronica.

PS I have the RZ67, AFD 645 and 645m and various lenses for them, if this helps a little.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the modern MF SLR's had excellent lenses so you're not really gaining anything trying to use other makes on a camera and losing full functionality.

An exception might be ultra wides, extreme telephotos and shift lenses, but in general it's not really worth the effort as second hand lenses are so cheap now,

Ian

3. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    does not sound terribly viable to me. Probably easier, cheaper and more productive to try a system and change over if it gives you more of what you want. I have found the Mamiya lenses for the RZ great and those of the 7 incredible.

4. OP
    OP
    Grev

Grev Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well if the equivalent Zeiss or Pentax wides are better than the Mamiya, then I would definitely get it, and really I don't use AF and such really and most of the mount converters can meter. Also I use these lenses on my D700 and 5d2 as well so it's another reason I would want to see some resolution figures for comparison.

5. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "PS I have the RZ67, AFD 645 and 645m and various lenses for them, if this helps a little."

Congratulations, you own some of the best medium format systems available! ;-)
    To be honest I don´t think there will be any difference, even if you compare them with Carl Zeiss, Mamiya is a great manufacturer. If you want to see some graphs, visit the Zeiss website, they have MTF diagrams for all of their lenses, but comparing MTF diagrams from different manufacturers isn´t always practical. I always wanted a Mamiya RB67 when I was younger, but it wasn´t affordable for me back then.

Greetz, Benjamin

6. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's always funny to me that so many people ask what is the sharpest lens. I have to ask a question--Does it really matter? All the top manufactures make great glass. Sharpness is just one aspect of a lenses performance. There is color, contrast, resistance to flair, bokken, and construction quality are all factor that make the lens. If you are happy with your results then don't worry about it.

7. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You've got great systems. You will not see any "real" difference by hanging some other manufacturers glass on your cameras. Spend you time creating interesting and compelling photographs and less time wondering about tech stuff. AA and Weston used lens that today would probably be trashed by modern glass. I don't think anyone currently faults the technical merit of their art.

Welcome to APUG BTW.

8. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm with 23 and Eric on this. I had a Mamiya 645 with the f/1.9 lens. I moved to Hasselblad when I could afford it because I wanted to forgo the electronic shutter. I also have a Rollie 3.5F. While I'm sure one lens would edge out another on an Air Force test target, who cares? Shoot any fine grain film, put it on a light box with any good loupe and you could not tell which was which.

My TLR is around 50 years old and is sharp enough to slice your eye. Why worry over test targets? In most cases I would rather use the TLR than the 'Blad because of weight and ease of use. What fits your hands and your way of working is what's important. Sales hype only strokes the ego.
    The benefit involved in screwing on another brand lens is bullshit.

Buying a $7,000 Linhof Master, plus lens will not make you a famous photographer. It will make you a Linhof owner. A $200 Crown Graphic will do the same job.

9. phenix

phenix Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  10. OP
    OP
    Grev

Grev Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well sharpness is an important aspect to lens evaluation, that's why I asked.

And I really want that crown graphic now. :tongue:

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Very true 23mjm, if I wasn't happy with with some of the best M/F lenses made I would be asking myself what's wrong with me, not the lenses.

12. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    In 35mm sharpness is something that you want. Since There are preety unknown lenses around. And you need to enlarge more from it's negative.
    In MF, It's hard to find a crappy lens for a good system; since It was a format mostly used by the pros and the negatives are bigger, so sharpness isn't that important.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.