Lens for 9x12 plate camera

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by baachitraka, Jul 28, 2016.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may pick rather a good looking 9x12 plate camera for throw away price but without lens/shutter. May I know whether 9x12 can take lens from folders like Agfa isolette?

If not, may I ask what lens/shutter does it take for shooting portraits?

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most 9x12 cameras use a 135mm lens. The 105mm folder lens would probably be unsharp in the corners or not even cover the corners. 6x6 folder lens will not cover. For lens that can cover 9x12cm you can use any lens that fits the camera mounting hole and will focus with the available bellows. Some may be too large to allow the camera to properly fold. If you like a longer lens for portraits the Ektar 203 f7.7 might work for you. It fits OK inside my Zeiss Maximar camera. Also if the camera doesn't come with any film holders or a roll film back make sure the kind the camera uses are easily available to you.

3. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    135mm or 150mm is standard for 9x12. For portraits you could use a 165mm or 180mm (standard for 10x15), if the camera has double extention bellows.

It's often cheaper to buy a plate camera with a lens than to buy the lens separately.

4. OP
    OP
    baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed. But one feature that I miss from old plate cameras are flash sync...

5. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Use B. Open the shutter, fire the flash and close the shutter.