Leica to xxx adapter ring

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by oliver|PHOTO, Feb 1, 2009.

1. oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys!

I got a very sweet deal on a 50 mm f/1.2 Leica R series lense. Problem however is, that I cant just goout and buy a Leica. Nedd $$$ big time. But, I was thinking, is i possible to find any sort of adapter ring or such to convert to a nother camera? And what are the consequenses of doing so?

BTW, he's asking $250 for it, and it's in perfect condition!

Cheers, Oliver

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, there are such adapters. What other cameras do you have? If you haven't got any, consider something like a Canon EOS5, costs abiout £50 to £80, an adapter from China will cost £10 or so (see e-bay. There are more expensive adapters which make the autofocus confirmation work (not the autofocus itself). R lenses work fine on EOS and other cameras, but you have to meter stopped down and close the aperture yourself each time you take a picture.

You could probably find a Leica R3 for less than you think, maybe £100 to £130, it will certainly need servicing for another £80 or so.

3. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

f1.2?

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably an f:2, 50 Summicron-R at that price.

You need a thinner body to have an adapter with no optics. That's a Canon EOS autofocus body. An adapter for $175 here: http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm Novoflex also makes some Leica R to EOS adapters that bhphotovideo.com might carry.

KEH has bargain Leica R bodies for the same price as the adapter or less, and you get proper full aperture metering, etc in the bargain.

Lee

5. OP
    OP
    oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys!

Thank you for the reply. It is in fact a Noctilux f/1.2 lens!

I have a EOS 650 body that i might try then. If i buy the lense that is. Still a bit to much money at the time.

Cheers, Oliver

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were no production 50mm f:1.2 Noctilux R lenses, only a few 52mm prototypes. I've seen a posting about a 52mm f:1.2 Noctilux R, but it was never in the catalog or full production, and it's very unlikely that it would be priced at $250 unless someone made a huge mistake. There was a Summilux-R f:1.4. No production Noctilux-R lenses were made. The one prototype 52mm f:1.2 Noctilux-R lens that I found online went for 30,000 euros.

The M mount rangefinder 50mm f:1.0 Noctilux may be what he has, but it shouldn't be at $250 unless it's in pretty poor shape.

You may need to check on the lens more closely, or perhaps the decimal point in the price. :smile:

Lee

7. OP
    OP
    oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Hi Lee (and others)

So ive finally got a pic of the lense, at what disappointment. He said it was a 1.2 but after reading your reply and doing some researching, I could'nt quite understand it.

But now, after looking at the picture it is clear, that it's a f/2.0. Disappointing I must say.

So I dont think im gonna spend the cash on this one.

Thanks for the relpy all!

Cheers, Oliver

8. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The front lens bezel on this lens is marked 1:2/50, so it might appear to be a faster lens to an undereducated observer.

I can understand your disappointment, but perhaps if you'd used it, without expectations of a faster lens at a very cheap price, you wouldn't have been so disappointed. That's about the going rate for that lens, and the price with a body or EOS adapter does raise the cost of entry. You might have found it worth the price, though. A lot of people do.

Lee

9. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.