Leica to xxx adapter ring

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by oliver|PHOTO, Feb 1, 2009.

1. oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys!

I got a very sweet deal on a 50 mm f/1.2 Leica R series lense. Problem however is, that I cant just goout and buy a Leica. Nedd $$$ big time. But, I was thinking, is i possible to find any sort of adapter ring or such to convert to a nother camera? And what are the consequenses of doing so?

BTW, he's asking $250 for it, and it's in perfect condition!

Cheers, Oliver

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, there are such adapters. What other cameras do you have? If you haven't got any, consider something like a Canon EOS5, costs abiout £50 to £80, an adapter from China will cost £10 or so (see e-bay. There are more expensive adapters which make the autofocus confirmation work (not the autofocus itself). R lenses work fine on EOS and other cameras, but you have to meter stopped down and close the aperture yourself each time you take a picture.

You could probably find a Leica R3 for less than you think, maybe £100 to £130, it will certainly need servicing for another £80 or so.

3. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Subscriber

f1.2?

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably an f:2, 50 Summicron-R at that price.

You need a thinner body to have an adapter with no optics. That's a Canon EOS autofocus body. An adapter for $175 here: http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm Novoflex also makes some Leica R to EOS adapters that bhphotovideo.com might carry.

KEH has bargain Leica R bodies for the same price as the adapter or less, and you get proper full aperture metering, etc in the bargain.

Lee

5. OP
    OP
    oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys!

Thank you for the reply. It is in fact a Noctilux f/1.2 lens!

I have a EOS 650 body that i might try then. If i buy the lense that is. Still a bit to much money at the time.

Cheers, Oliver

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were no production 50mm f:1.2 Noctilux R lenses, only a few 52mm prototypes. I've seen a posting about a 52mm f:1.2 Noctilux R, but it was never in the catalog or full production, and it's very unlikely that it would be priced at $250 unless someone made a huge mistake. There was a Summilux-R f:1.4. No production Noctilux-R lenses were made. The one prototype 52mm f:1.2 Noctilux-R lens that I found online went for 30,000 euros.

The M mount rangefinder 50mm f:1.0 Noctilux may be what he has, but it shouldn't be at $250 unless it's in pretty poor shape.

You may need to check on the lens more closely, or perhaps the decimal point in the price. :smile:

Lee

7. OP
    OP
    oliver|PHOTO

oliver|PHOTO Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Hi Lee (and others)

So ive finally got a pic of the lense, at what disappointment. He said it was a 1.2 but after reading your reply and doing some researching, I could'nt quite understand it.

But now, after looking at the picture it is clear, that it's a f/2.0. Disappointing I must say.

So I dont think im gonna spend the cash on this one.

Thanks for the relpy all!

Cheers, Oliver

8. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The front lens bezel on this lens is marked 1:2/50, so it might appear to be a faster lens to an undereducated observer.

I can understand your disappointment, but perhaps if you'd used it, without expectations of a faster lens at a very cheap price, you wouldn't have been so disappointed. That's about the going rate for that lens, and the price with a body or EOS adapter does raise the cost of entry. You might have found it worth the price, though. A lot of people do.

Lee

9. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format