Laser Exposure - Solarol and HC110

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by Bob Carnie, Aug 18, 2017.

  1. Bob Carnie

    Bob Carnie Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,355
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto-Onta
    Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am solarizing Ortho 25 film today, two 16 x20 images at a time.

    I have an excellent balance for HC110 chemistry and making nice negs for traditional printing . I also have a large tray of Solarol Developer (metol based) and I am finding the negatives weak. I would like to JUICE up my Solarol Dev to be more active with out adding hydroquinone and without changing my laser settings.. (bigger deal than changing chems)

    I have solved the situation by processing 1/2 in HC110 and then taking out of dev and putting in the Solarol Dev then flashing the film.. This works but I would really like to keep a single bath dev for economics, sanity and metol only sakes.

    Ok Chemists , how do I juice the Solarol ???
     
  2. Saganich

    Saganich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

    Messages:
    736
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I tried looking up the formula but couldn't find it published. Higher contrast would/might be achieved by increasing Metol to about 10g/liter first and if that doesn't work try increasing volumes of 10:1 sodium carb (monohydrate) and potassium bromide up to about 50 grams and 5 grams per liter each. That worked well for old techpan film.
     
  3. cowanw

    cowanw Member
    Ads Enabled

    Messages:
    1,558
    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Hamilton, On
    Shooter:
    Large Format
    Would temperature make a difference?
     
  4. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

    Bob Carnie Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,355
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto-Onta
    Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    unfortunately I am talking about 30liters for chem so raising and keeping it hot would be an impossible task.
     
  5. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

    Bob Carnie Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,355
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto-Onta
    Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My formula is as follows...

    Metol 144g
    Sodium Sulfite- 450 grams
    Sodium Carbonate - 420 grams
    Sodium Bromide - 56 grams

    Water - 24litres


    Other related notes:
    For this particular application I am only using a single dev for sanity's sake, when I do print solarizations I add a second bath
    Potassium Bromide- 432 grams to 6 litres of water.

    then I add above stock 6 liter of the orig.. The idea is that I develop 1/2 time in one dev, then move to the second and flash. from W Jollys notes this second Pot Bromide laden dev changes the grain structure of the flashed areas and therefore when tone gives a quad tone affect.
     
  6. Saganich

    Saganich Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

    Messages:
    736
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Try increase metol and carbonate.
    Metol 240g
    Sodium Sulfite 450
    Sodium Carbonate 560
    Sodium Bromide 56
    Water 24 l
     
  7. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

    Bob Carnie Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,355
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto-Onta
    Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thank you I will give it a go next round.
     
  8. OP
    OP
    Bob Carnie

    Bob Carnie Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,355
    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto-Onta
    Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Brendan Meadows.jpg Image courtesy of Brendan Meadows

    So I comprimised and processed 1/2 time in HC110 and 1/2 time in Solaral - the flash was given once the film was completely immersed in the second dev.

    The print you see is a Contact of the solarized silver negative from phase back capture. The print is a lith print on Art 300.

    I really think this will be a great series... Brendan now has to figure out how to light the original scene so that he can control the solarization a bit before I hit the flash.

    What is cool about this process is that since the film is Ortho 25 I can use a safelight and with some extensive testing Brendan and I can work this out to a predictable workflow for him.

    This work is Slated for Capture 2018 Vancover and Contact 2018 Toronto so we have all the winter to work out the bugs.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.