Lab Recommendation for 35mm Film Recording

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by adelorenzo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Can anyone recommend a 35mm film recording service? Preferably in Canada but I'll ship wherever I have to. I've got some digital images I'd like to get onto B&W film to print.

The best looking one I've found so far is First Call in the UK but they're not responding to e-mails so far.

2. ced

ced Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
  3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Anthony- you know I do large output up to 20 x30 for contact prints using Ortho Film, but my output is not designed to put in a enlarger but rather a Contact. Due to the nature of the film size and setup
    I need to do it can be a pricey day. FWIW I am doing more negs next week for Brendan Meadows to make lith prints, you saw his show on the Friday evening.

In Canada there is nobody doing this that I am aware of , but I have a friend in New York who is outputting to 4x5 and 8 x10 film , any image size you could gang up a few 35mm files . These negs
    are what Salgado is doing, his lab is in Paris. You can email me if you wish and I will forward the info , he has decent rates.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have friends who have a film recorder and have in the past output on to 6x8 B&W. Would this interest you?

5. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Update: First Call did get back to me and they've burned a bunch of images from a digital point-and-shoot onto a roll of 35mm film for me. I'll be interested to see how the prints come out on an enlarger, the digital files weren't the best quality to start with.

Why I am doing this you might ask? I'm putting together a series of prints from an area that I visited in 2012 (P&S digital), 2015 (120 film) and 2018 (35mm and 120 film). If I can get decent results on the enlarger with these digital files burned to film I'll use them as part of the series. Even if the quality is mediocre I'll be able to print and tone them to match the other prints. Hopefully it's no worse than just printing straight from the digital files.

I don't think they offer film recording? I can't find it on their website.

I've been thinking about this for a while actually Bob. I really need to develop the right body of work for it and to settle on what process to print with. I've got a few projects developing and hopefully one of those will come to fruiition.

Definitely. I've got what I need done right now but I'm very interested in the possibilities of using a digital -> film -> darkroom workflow in other ways.

6. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @Prof_Pixel Have you any experience with this company yourself? I am also looking to put a digital image on a singular 35mm frame.

8. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    @jsmoove First Call in the UK worked out well for me. I had 36 digital images burned onto a roll of 35mm film and it was quite reasonably priced. They send it back and you process it yourself.

9. jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @adelorenzo How much did it run you per frame? Do they do processing as well? Did you get 2k..4k?

10. jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @adelorenzo Also, would it be possible to share some pics of the negs they sent to you? Im in NZ, but have connections in Canada as well. So I guess the UK would work

11. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did some consulting work for them several years ago. Send them a message and ask if they can do what you want.

12. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    25 GBP for a 36-exposure roll, see: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/transfer-36-digital-images-back-to-35mm-film/p7124

There was postage on top of that. Don't know if they will process it as well. Their machine does 2K/4K/8K, I asked them about whether I had to match it pixel for pixel and they said just send in your files and the machine will take care of it, so that's what I did.

I can try but keep in mind the images started their life on a 2012-era P&S digital camera. So they were not great to begin with. I have printed a few on the enlarger and they are passable at 8x10, have yet to try anything larger.

13. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had looked into them but their business model is archiving large quantities of digital files on film and then storing it in vaults. They only use the negs if you need to replace lost images. It's not really what the OP or myself were looking for.

14. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    They have the capability to do what you want - that's what my consulting work involved.. I know what you want doesn't fit their business model, but it never hurts to ask. Tell Steve (Hagel) that Fred Shippey says hi and suggested you contact him.

15. jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @adelorenzo Cool yeah I'd love to see them either way, do you remember what the postage was?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.