Kraft Paper or Acid-Free Backing Paper?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by walbergb, Sep 25, 2012.

1. walbergb

walbergb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would it be wrong of me to use good, old Kraft paper to cover the back of my frames instead of acid-free frame backing paper? I already process my prints using archival techniques and use conservation type dry mount tissue, foam board, and mat board. I don't foresee my photographs hanging in any museum (except my own:wink:). For me taking the picture, making the print, and framing it myself is a hobby. I do occasionally give away framed prints to friends, and I can see one day selling a framed print or two to those willing to pay (not my raison d'etre). I do worry that the prints will last for them.

2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kraft paper is made with an acidic sulfite process and I certainly wouldn't use it for your stated application.

3. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That was how it was done for decades and it sure ruined a lot of prints. It's OK as a dust barrier only
    if you have a true acid barrier between the print mount and the acidic paper - for example, acid free
    foamboard or, at a minimum, some inert sheet plastic.

4. Tom Mallon

Tom Mallon Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Prof Pixel, your statement is factually incorrect.
    Kraft paper has not been made with acid sulfite since the 1930s. It is the only paper made in a pulping process to be free of acid sulfate. Subsequently, lignin is removed during the kraft pulping process. Kraft paper is neither the same quality nor as acid-free as the more expensive rag papers but it can be safely used for wrapping food and for many archival purposes. Auction and storage houses regularly use kraft paper to wrap silver because its lack of acidity prevents tarnishing. If you still have doubts you should perform a litmus test after soaking a sample in some distilled water.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_paper