Kodaks discontinuation announcement, cliffnotes?

The Rebel Bear

H
The Rebel Bear

Great Sand Dunes NP

A
Great Sand Dunes NP

San Jose Museum of Art

A
San Jose Museum of Art

San Jose Museum of Art

A
San Jose Museum of Art

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
perfectiontips
Recent bookmarks

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
I've read most if not all of the recent thread about Kodak killing some chemicals, or at least certain sizes, but does anyone have a clear list of what IS still available? There is a lot of information scattered around the thread and not all of it seems consistant. Also, I don't know every size of every chemical Kodak makes currently, so the list of discontinued products is a little vague to me, and probably others, about what the future holds.

For example, D-76 to make 10gal and 1gal are listed, so am I safe to assume the 1L packets will still be available? I did not see them listed on the Kodak PDF, but the Formulary link posted by JBrunner lists D-76 as a "discontinued" product, and makes no mention of size.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here or bring out all the Doom&Gloom posts about what we lost, I'm just hoping this thread can put a clear finger on exactly just what we are left WITH from Father Kodak.

For review:

Kodak: http://www.dr5.com/B_W and E_6 Chemical Discontinuances PCN110209_AO.pdf

Formulary http://www.photoformulary.com/images/Kodak discontinues chemistry-linked.pdf

Photo Engineer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Kodak apparently still makes two printed catalogs of current items. One catalog is loose leaf with a snap binder which allows page replacement if an item is changed or deleted and it contains two prices, the dealer prices and customer price. The other catalog is soft bound and stapled, and contains only customer prices.

I used to pick one up regularly at EK, and then after I retired, I got it at my local camera shop. Last time, they were out of catalogs and gave me an older one, but still pretty much current. I doubt that they could do that nowdays.

In any event, try getting a printed copy from the local dealer. You may get lucky and it might be one of the things that EK has not cancelled.

Oh, and I was told that it came in 2 versions, Analog and Digital. Of course, I got the Analog version.

PE

Shooter
Medium Format
Very interesting, regarding the printed catalogs, PE. I shall try to obtain one of those analog catalogs for my photography bookshelf.

removed-user-1

For example, D-76 to make 10gal and 1gal are listed, so am I safe to assume the 1L packets will still be available?

The way I read the Kodak notice, D-76 will be available in the 1 gallon size, since it is suggested as a replacement for the 10 gallon package.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks PE. I was in a local shop just yesterday to pick up some paper and, when speaking to the owner, mentioned the recent confusion about Kodak canceling some items. She was completely unaware that Kodak had made any changes, so apparently they are not very good at giving clear information to all of their vendors.

To further confuse things, as the notice stated, Kodak will be keeping canceled items up on their site as current up until the time they deplete their inventory. So there will be no clear record of what "is" and what "will be" until after the item is gone forever.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
The way I read the Kodak notice, D-76 will be available in the 1 gallon size, since it is suggested as a replacement for the 10 gallon package.

It's in the right hand column, to the right of the 10gal notice. I actually missed it too. At first I only noticed the 10gal size and the 1gal of D-76R replenisher.

55 KODAK PROFESSIONAL D-76
Developer /
Packet of powder to make 10 gal

Developer /
Packet of powder to make 1 gal

55 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Replenisher
D-76R / Packet of powder to make 1 gal

DLawson

Shooter
35mm
It's in the right hand column, to the right of the 10gal notice. I actually missed it too. At first I only noticed the 10gal size and the 1gal of D-76R replenisher.

Developer /
Packet of powder to make 10 gal

Developer /
Packet of powder to make 1 gal

55 KODAK PROFESSIONAL Replenisher
D-76R / Packet of powder to make 1 gal

You are misunderstanding.
The 10 gallon (left column) is listed as discontinued.
The 1 gallon (right column) is the suggested replacement.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
You are misunderstanding.
The 10 gallon (left column) is listed as discontinued.
The 1 gallon (right column) is the suggested replacement.

Ahh got it. When you are looking at that list in PDF, the top of the column where it shows as "replacement" is hidden. Clears a lot of things up thanks!

So anything with "No Suggested Replacement" should be considered nixed completely?

removed-user-1

So anything with "No Suggested Replacement" should be considered nixed completely?

Apparently so. Another reason to switch to Ilford completely as my current stocks of Kodak chemistry run out.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
Apparently so. Another reason to switch to Ilford completely as my current stocks of Kodak chemistry run out.

It's on the list of things to do but I was getting really used to D-76 in particular, so I did not want to see that go. I probably have enough to last me several years but if it was going I would switch now before I got too comfortable with it. Anyway, glad it isn't going anywhere, at least not yet.

Stop, Fixer, and raw chemicals are utilitarian to me; they do not affect the final image to any discernable degree so I could care less who I buy them from. The other items I have never used (except Poly toner) so I am not largely concerned with them either.

The Formulary link is however misleading then, as it makes it appear ALL D-76 is discontinued when in fact that is not the case. I think that is one of the big things that threw me.

BetterSense

Shooter
35mm
Do people really buy the 10gal packets and mix 10gal of stock?

How long does that take you to use?

Are 10 1-gal packets significantly more expensive than one 10-gal packet?

If not, it seems rather imagined harm to have to use the 1-gallon packets. Besides, you can mix up bulk D76 pretty easily. If you are making 10 gallons at a time, you might want to look into that anyway. Kodak can't 'discontinue' D76 in the same sense as they can discontinue TriX or Kodachrome.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Kodak apparently still makes two printed catalogs of current items. One catalog is loose leaf with a snap binder which allows page replacement if an item is changed or deleted and it contains two prices, the dealer prices and customer price. The other catalog is soft bound and stapled, and contains only customer prices.

I used to pick one up regularly at EK, and then after I retired, I got it at my local camera shop. Last time, they were out of catalogs and gave me an older one, but still pretty much current. I doubt that they could do that nowdays.

In any event, try getting a printed copy from the local dealer. You may get lucky and it might be one of the things that EK has not cancelled.

Oh, and I was told that it came in 2 versions, Analog and Digital. Of course, I got the Analog version.

PE

Why does Kodak not publisk an online (price) list?
There is a 2004 version on their server (probably by mistake), which I found very helpful. But of course it is no substitute of a current version.
In our current situation it is us who are expected by the dealers to have all information at hand.

Not long ago the official dealer for some Kodak products told me he can only give a price informatiojn on some film if I come over with the order number. I(!) had to call Rochester to get that number and by that the price from my dealer.
(My counterpart at Kodak was quite helpful, nonetheless, he could not serve me with that catalog.)

This is a twisted world. But then Kodak should make us wise and make that current catalog available!

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
PE,

Good question, but I'm more interested in some Kodak products. Furthermore Kodak's portfolio is (was?) more complex, and this thread is about Kodak.

lajolla

Shooter
35mm
As I see this latest forum 'Kodak' paranoia from out here on the west coast, this really is much ado about nothing? The 10-gallon packaging discontinuation was inevitable. Only b+w commercial labs were customers for that product. And those folks unfortunately are long gone. It is only rational that Kodak focus on 1-gallon packaging of powdered D-76. As for the 1-liter package, since the price differential between the gallon package and the liter package is now but a matter of pennies here in the States, I would assume that the liter package's days are numbered as well. I always used the older 32oz D-76 powder packages, but when they shifted to the one liter packages, and the prices for one liter increased dramatically relative to the 1 gallon powder package, I bit the bullet, and now mix a gallon of D-76 stock at a time, and simply dump what I have not used after a week. But it truly was a nice memory to have had the product packaged in less than gallon amounts, since it was always easy and convenient to make a small batch of fresh developer for one-time use.

OP
OP

PeteZ8

Shooter
Medium Format
If you re-read the thread, what I was asking was for a clear list of what products are discontinued entirely. There is no paranoia here, in fact I specificly asked that this thread be concise and stick to the point rather than digress into the "Doom&Gloom" scenarios. I just felt that by only listing certain sizes the list was unclear about which items would still be available in one form or another. As it turns out I had mis-read the list not realizing that Kodak had actually provided that information for me.

You really throw out D-76 stock after one week??? :confused: Kodak gives a shelf life of 2 months in a half filled container.

PhotoJim

Shooter
35mm
D-76 is, thankfully, the least of our worries. The formula is readily available and the raw chemicals to make it are easy to get.

I don't know what else Kodak is discontinuing so I will stop my comments here :smile:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I don't know what else Kodak is discontinuing so I will stop my comments here :smile:

Instead you can talk about the new film emulsions that Kodak has brought out.

Steve

Ektagraphic

Shooter
Medium Format
I can't for the life of me find a place to get a printed catalog or find it online. Kodak has refrenced the catalog in a couple of places but I am yet to gain acess to one.....

Venchka

Shooter
35mm
Microdol-X joined Kodachrome. Gone but not forgotten.

I wonder if they will publish the formula? Or is that common knowledge?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom