Kodak Projection Print Scale

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by MattKing, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a couple of recent threads, we have had some discussion about Kodak Projection Print Scales. I had an extra one and offered it to others here. The offer has been taken up, and it is on it's way.

The one I sent was one that I got in a package purchase I made through eBay. Almost everything in the package was in almost new, unused condition. I would guess that it was all of about mid-1970s vintage based, among other things, on the price tags on the items, and the accompanying documentation.

The price tag on the print scale is for $4.90 :surprised:.

Before I sent it off, I scanned the instruction sheet. Here it is. If you look carefully, you may be able to read the 1942 patent date.

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one of those back about 1948. :sad: Long time ago.

When I first joined Kodak, I worked on a color version of this that was never produced.

PE

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Purchased mine in the late 70's, works great but uses a lot of paper. Great way to learn to print.

4. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I use mine, I cut an 8x10 sheet into 4-4x5 pieces and use those. Not too wasteful....

-F.

5. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometime in the 1970s I replaced an earlier one that had suffered a bit; it still looks pristine. I sometimes use test pieces down to almost wallet sized -- 2 x 3 inches or so, centering the pie pattern on the paper and trying to locate it in a critical portion of the intended print. Given the shortest and longest exposures are next to each other, it's not very difficult to sort out which segment is which without having numbers to read.

Since I've been shooting a lot of square stuff, I'm generally able to whack the end off an 8x10 or 11x14 and get enough test pieces to tell me what I need to know, leaving a piece for the final print -- well, at least when I'm "on!" :D

DaveT

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea. I think I may have done that, been a long time since I used it or had my darkroom set up. Hope to get going on it soon.