Kodak and Ilford film developer characteristic matrices

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by michael_r, Jun 30, 2016.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought I'd post these two reference charts in one place. We often refer to them in discussions about developer characteristics, but can be difficult to find if you don't know where to look. Note the Ilford matrix pre-dates Ilfosol 3, but the reference to Ilfosol S applies. Click on the Ilford info for a slightly enlarged and clearer image.

Perhaps this can be a sticky or something.

Kodak:

Kodak matrix.jpg

Ilford:

Ilford matrix.jpg

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've "stickied" this.

3. andrewf

andrewf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny you should post this as I've just been looking at these charts trying to decide which one is best for me to try next :smile:

4. herb

herb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    been a long time since I have used it, but I had wonderful results with Rollei 400 and Xtol which I replenished
    been at least 5 years.

5. Jim70

Jim70 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks - a useful comparison chart

6. esearing

esearing Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "Factors such as dilution, agitation, time, temperature, seasoning, replenishment, etc... may give you different results"

That lists everything you can do so you may never see the shadow detail, grain, and sharpness differences or match their results. They also don't indicate for which films so the chart is basically useless except under tightly controlled lab circumstances with multiple runs to compare consistency. And sharpness will be subjective depending on scene and your camera's/len's light refraction influence. And lets not forget those minute chemicals in the water used to mix your developer which may change the developer properties ever so slightly.

Pick a developer and get to know it by altering dilution, agitation, time, and temperature until you find that combo that gives you the most control for the film(s) you use. I personally find Pyrocat HD in glycol with a minimal agitation scheme gives me the best results and control over the final outcome assuming all goes well with the initial exposure and metering technique.