Kodachrome Usage

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone- I was curious as to how often (if at all) you all use Kodachrome. It is truly a wonderful film. Yes there is only one place left in the world to have it processed but that shouldn't stop you from using it! Those of you that left it years ago or those of you that have never used it do not know what you are missing!!

2. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot 3 to 4 rolls a year. I'd shoot more, but I've never been happy with how it scans. Epson V700 is horrible and Coolscans IV and 5000 have never impressed me...and I've fiddled a lot.
    Projected, it's amazing.

3. james23p

james23p Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    3 or 4 rolls a month I love the stuff!

Jim

4. kevs

kevs Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's wonderful too, but only use it occasionally. I rarely use 35mm these days, medium format floats my boat. I used two last year and have a couple on ice. I'm just awaiting inspiration to load the old S.L.R.

I'm also hoping to fit an old T.L.R. with an adapter for 56mm-long exposures and do some panoramics, so who knows? I tried this last year with Kodak HIE, but forgot about the halation 'problem' when using printed paper as a backing.

Ektagraphic, I'm glad you, PKM-25 and many others are enthusiastic about Kodachrome, and more power to your collective elbows. i hope it sticks around too - but time, lack of inspiration and expense (it's about £13:00 a roll here now!) don't usually permit me to use much these days.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  5. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    ^^^^ Kevs - yes K64 is just under £13 for a single film in Boots, but they do have a 3-films-for-the-price-of-two offer at the moment.
    And the current price at www.7dayshop.com is only £6.99, delivery paid, with a further small reduction for more than one film. (I've no connection other than I'm a satisfied customer for this and other items).
    As this includes process and mounting by Dwaynes, it seems a real bargain for any film. The only extra cost is a stamp to mail the film to Kodak in Switzerland. :smile:

6. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at Freestyle, it's roughly $80US for 10 rolls, plus $40USD for postage to get it here. So that's $120USD, then you mail it to Kansas, then it's $90USD to process that film, and then around another $40USD to get it mailed back. So all up that's $250USD, ignoring the cost of mailing those rolls to Kansas from Australia. That's $389.59 in Australian dollars, at this moment. So I can expect to pay around $40 per roll of kodachrome, from start to finish.

Actually, I'm not posting this to complain, I love kodachrome to bits, and the dozen or so rolls I have managed to shoot in my time have been absolutely lovely. I've got boxes of my mum's kodachromes from her time abroad, and my grandfather's kodachromes of the riverland, taken between 1950 and 1980, and they're of dear importance to me. It's nice to add to the box of family heirlooms. But If you can shoot this film for less than $40 a roll, please take advantage of it. There are Australian photographers who foot the bill, but I'm hard done to pay the $8 for a roll of HP5 most of the time.

7. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love Kodachrome, but I haven't shot any for ages - reason is I just can't be doing with the risk of sending it accross the world so far for processing. Somehow sending to Lausanne wasn't so bad, although I still wouldn't do this for anying vaguely important.

I know if I could have it processed locally I would use a lot.

It's tempting to shoot some again, but I'm not sure I will.

I think Ektachrome E100G is a good substitute if you want nice saturation, but without jeopardising skin tones.

Matt

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matt^^^ - I wouldn't worry unduly about any risk in international mail to Switzerland, my office sends and receives mail from all over the world, and it is very unusual for an item to go missing. It's easy to blame and knock the good old Royal Mail, but we find them very reliable.
    And I'm sure that Kodak use a very secure courier service for the bulk transit from Lausanne to Dwaynes.
    I've had more films lost and damaged by so-called pro labs in the UK. :mad:

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Matt I loved Kodachrome, K25 but not K64, it was the best slide film ever made, but the slow processing meant it wasn't a practical proposition clients expected transparencies within 24 hours, there were no private labs in the UK offering a faster service. So I didn't use it after Fuji 50D was released.

Now if I wanted similar qualities I'd most likely go down the route of using the new Ektar 100 instead, particularly as it's easily processed, at any lab or at home, and will be available in 35mm & 120. I'll be testing the film in April when I'm next in the UK.

Ian

10. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot about half a dozen rolls a year mainly between May-September as 64ISO is a little slow for my use. I also use more 120 than 35mm but always have a couple of rolls K64 in my fridge and tag a roll or two onto ever order from 7 day shop.
    I love the colours, even the 200 was nice in its own way...

[​IMG]
    I will miss it when it goes and will use it while I can
    Mark

12. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I feel like we have one of these per week.

I love it. I can't afford it (coming from somebody who spends $1.50 on each roll of print film and processes himself on over-used chemistry.) The cheapest it gets is $8 a roll plus **cough** walmart processing at $4 a roll. I buy a roll every few months. I have been finding rolls of super-8 kodachrome and storing those up. We'll see.

13. kevs

kevs Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look out for near and outdated stocks in shops' 'rummage bins'; last year I bagged a couple of rolls, with about four months left, for under half-price because the staff had wrongly put them into the rummage bin! :D

Rummage bins are k3wl!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. germanglass

germanglass Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For color, I only shoot Kodachrome! It's the best! I've tried them all, and nothing seems to capture real life look of K64. I shoot maybe 20 rolls a year. I'll show the Sam's Club photo desk clerk my K64 slides and bow them away. They get stuck looking at digital images all day, week after week, and bam! They want to know all about this Kodachrome thing. They don't see images like those every day.

I store the sides in my fridge for my great, great, great, great, great great, and more grand-kids to see what 2008 was like.

Ben

16. OP
    OP
    Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you been to the Kodachrome project website?? The Kodachrome Project forums are a great place too!
    Main page http://kodachromeproject.com/pages/contents.html
    Forums
    http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php

17. gunzel

gunzel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buy the process paid stuff from the UK. As railwayman3 mentioned it's £6.99 a roll from 7dayshop, I get it sent to a relative in the UK and then posted out here, I can land four rolls together for around AU$70. Then I post them to the address Kodak still maintain in Queensland when done. A few weeks to a month later it comes back in the mail. It's cheaper than E6 for me (which doesn't include mounting).

18. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just bought 3 rolls today...

19. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to look into that when I have the money, my sister lives in the UK, but I always assumed the processing paid mailers wouldn't work out here...I'd like to get in at least another dozen rolls, so thank you very much for the advice.

20. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It truly is a wonderful film, but I haven't used it in years. The reason had little to do with the film. I still like its color and its behavior. But I started doing most of my work in MF, and I also tend to do moderately large prints. Kodachrome isn't available in MF, and color negative film seems to work better for big prints. Now that it's such a hassle to get Kodachrome processed (at least around here), I even use color negatives for the little 35mm color film I shoot.

21. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have to confess, I actually prefer a few E6 films - I'm not sure the dull English weather really highlights Kodachrome's strengths - but I do shoot it occasionally, and particularly at the moment while my colour processing kit is out of action until I fix a new water heater it's the only colour film I'm shooting.

At current prices (esp. 7dayshop) with dev included it's unbeatable value as well.

22. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've never used it. :sad:

But! I am planning to add a few rolls next time I order supplies.

23. Fredrik Sandstrom

Fredrik Sandstrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you use filters in dull weather? I find that Kodachrome performs exceptionally well in cloudy weather with an 81B (warming) filter.

24. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you know, I haven't... Excellent thought, I really should try that.

25. ilovekodachrome

ilovekodachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodachrome is a fabulous film; the visible but sharp grain is very appealing to me -- as are the rich but unsaturated colors. I guess I’m lucky living only a few states away from Kansas. I can mail an order directly first-class mail and get it back in a week. Film is $8.50/roll U.S. at B&H. Processing works out to about $9.58/roll U.S. This is not much more expensive than using Ektachrome, which is $7.50/roll at B&H, with processing about 9.08/roll at Dwaynes. Yes, Elite Chrome is cheaper, but then it’s not Ektachrome.

26. ilovekodachrome

ilovekodachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also, I get excellent results scanning with Silverfast AI 2X multi-exposure and a Kodachrome IT8 target (which are now available directly from Lasersoft).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.