Members
Latest member
surilasuntal
Recent bookmarks

Maley

Shooter
35mm
Some odd Kodachrome questions.

When did Kodachrome first arrive on the UK market as a still film? I've heard 1937, but if so that seems a bit late.

Was Kodachrome available for retail customers in the UK and Ireland during World War 2? If so, where was it processed? I believe Hemel Hempstead in the UK did not have a Kodachrome processing line at that time, but might be wrong.
Before World War Two I believe UK customers had to send the film to Kodak in Berlin, or Stockholm, and maybe somewhere in Switzerland, or else maybe send it back all the way to Rochester.

This could not have been possible in World War Two, and the UK government I believe controlled or requisitioned all Kodachrome stock, movie or still, that reached Britain at that time. A lot of it is well known of course, sheet film of celebrities etc, but where was it processed.?

When did it come back on the UK retail market? 1946? I have read somewhere it wasn't until 1947. I assume Hemel Hempstead and other European-based processing labs, were up and running by then.

Was it available in Australia and New Zealand then? Was there a lab in Australia/NZ? If not, where was Kodachrome processed?

Many GIs used Kodachrome in their personal cameras. How did they get it processed?

Was Kodachrome off the U.S. retail market 1942-1945? Was it for sale in a camp PX at that time?

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
When did Kodachrome first arrive on the UK market as a still film? I've heard 1937, but if so that seems a bit late.

Kodachrome market introduction as type 135:

USA: August 1936
Germany: August 1937
France: 1938

Thus 1937 for Britain seems not far fetched.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
When did KJodachrome come back on the UK retail market? 1946? I have read somewhere it wasn't until 1947. I assume Hemel Hempstead and other European-based processing labs, were up and running by then.

In 1947 harsh import restrictions were employed in Britain.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Maley

Welcome to APUG Photrio!!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom