Kodachrome in Canada?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Craig, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to buy Kodachrome at London drugs, but they are out of stock and the knowledgeable lady behind the counter tells me that they have been unable to get it for months. She's pretty on the ball, so I tend to believe her.

Any ideas where else I could get it domestically? I'd rather not mail order from the US and deal with border hassles if I don't have to.

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LL Lozeau (www.lozeau.com) and Photo Service (photoservice.ca) in Montréal have them, so if you want I can arrange an errand for you. Price is around 8-10$ a roll (can't remember the exact price offhand).

3. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    www.donsphoto.com

Recently they closed their Calgary store, but there are 2 in Edmonton and they ship anywhere in Canada.

4. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've had good service from Don's online store for Kodachrome and other film.

Cheers,
    Clarence

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin, can I still drop off Kodachrome at Don's for processing?

6. iamzip

iamzip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, this is probably not the answer you want - but since it has to go to Dwayne's anyway (and especially if you have nowhere local to drop off) you might as well send it to them and have them send you some rolls back with your processed slides.

7. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do Henry's still accept Kodachrome for pass-on to Dwayne's?

8. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jim: yes, you can, and say hi to me, I am working there right now till I can find something better. I like working there but they pay terrible (great prices for employees though!).

9. aluk

aluk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Henry's have it available through their site (and in-store, if you happen to get to one). However, as MHV notes above, the last time I checked it was a couple of dollars cheaper per roll at LL Lozeau in Montreal.

10. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I'll look into these sources.

11. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Craig, I work for London Drugs here in Nanaimo and this is the deal with Kodachrome: We haven't had any problems getting it other than time, since the main warehouse only orders so much at one time. They powers that be just decided (as of several days ago) to discontinue carrying Kodachrome. This decision was not brought about by poor sales, but by the demise of Kodak's Qualex. When we received Kodachrome for processing we would forward it to our usual outlab for films we cannot process in-house and it would make its way down to Dwayne's. What we didn't know was that the film would change hands 3 or 4 times (the memo was unclear there) eventually getting to Qualex who passed it to Dwayne's and absorbed most of the shipping costs. Since Qualex is no longer in business we can no longer send Kodachrome out ourselves as the logistics involved to the company for such a relatively small amount of film would make it prohibitively expensive and take much too long compared to just sending it to Dwayne's yourself. The decision was made to no longer stock Kodachrome in LD stores because they do not want to stock a product which we cannot send out ourselves and be forced to refer the customer to another company. Kodachrome is still available in Canada, just not from London Drugs.

Please keep in mind that I am just a peon in the photo lab and not an official spokesperson for the company, I am simply repeating what we were told in an e-mail memo. The photo counter should have copies of the Dwayne's order forms for the next little while or you can just print them from their website.

As for getting the film, I'd be very surprised if Vistek doesn't carry it. You could also try Beau Photo or Leo's in Vancouver. Both are able to ship product, though you'd probably want to order a bunch at a time to make the shipping costs worth it.

12. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Justin, That makes sense. It was a bargain, as LD only charged me $1.25 for the shipping. It used to take 4-6 weeks though, no doubt due to the number of times it had to change hands. At the Calgary stores its probably been 4-5 months since I've seen any K64 on the shelf. Vistek's film selection was pitiful the last time I was there, and certainly no Kodachrome.

I'm heading over to the UK next month and I'm thinking I'll just buy the process paid film there, as it makes it a lot easier to ship to Dwaynes when I just have to pay postage.

13. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've sent Kodachrome away for processing through Don's Photo - it's been 2 months and no word yet.

No problems getting it there, though - they had it in stock and I only got 6 or so rolls because I was low on cash at that moment.

14. Garry Madlung

Garry Madlung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone suggested Vistek? They have a store in Calgary.

15. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Their film selection has been pathetic for years, I think it could fit in a beer fridge.

16. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mmmmmmmm.....beer!

17. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Vistek in Toronto a year ago still had Kodachrome KR in stock, but that was a year ago and I haven't been by there since. The web site appears not to show it available — online, at least.

18. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you tried calling them to check by name? I sent 1 test roll away via Don's here in Wpg, didn't hear anything, and finally went in-store to check (I had to stop in anyway) about 4 weeks later. It turns out the clerk had written my phone number down incorrectly when I dropped it off and I didn't notice at the time. The guy behind the desk said he remembered seeing it about 2 weeks prior.

I've sent a couple of rolls away since, and each has been back in about 2 weeks.

19. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Confirmed today: Henry's is continuing to accept Kodachrome for sending to Dwayne's. They don't deal with Qualex, so their service will not be interrupted for now.

20. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't the Camera Store much better than Vistek? Last time I was there they had a true fridge full of true film. Maybe they still have some K-chromes.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/

21. OP
    OP
    Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, The Camera Store is much better, and I'm a well known regular there. Now that I think about it, I can't recall them ever having Kodachrome. Pre-digital all the pros shot E6, that was what they mainly stocked.