Kiev 6C TTL

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fritzthecat, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been contemplating a Russian medium format lately, mainly because I've never tried one. Found one on an auction site that was here in the states, and a decent price "buy it now, OBO" . Sooo, I sent an offer, a few minutes later I get a counter for LESS than I proffered WTF! Oh, there's a message, "I tried the film advance and broke it, so if you want this you can have if for ..... " Damn man, he had it listed as excellent condition. Anyway, he removed it from the sale. I offered an even lower amount, maybe something simple that even I could remedy. Somehow I don't think he'll sell it to me.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Consider yourself very fortunate. Now check out cameras at www.keh.com, which is very conservative in their ratings, a great return or exchange policy, and they can do any repairs. I suggest that you get Hasselblad rather than a pretender.

3. 1kgcoffee

1kgcoffee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want to get into medium format, there is nothing cheaper than a kiev 6c. I don't mean that in a bad way. The lenses are inexpensive and the system can do both 120 and 220

Look for them on ebay. There are a few reputable people who CLA old ugly ones. They are still ugly, and will eventually wear out but the bodies are cheap. You must you a cable release when shooting to get sharp images.

If you like them consider getting a properly refurbished arax or hartlblei

4. OP
    OP
    Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oh, I'm not just now getting into medium format, I bought my first 6x6 Yashica back in the 60's. I've owned many brands and models through the years, but thought, WTH, time to try a Commie Cam. I threw down on this particular one because it was already here in the good ol' USA., and the price was right.

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one with a Sonnar 180/2.8. It's not the greatest for fit and finish but the 35mm Soviet cams are worse, except for the really early models.

Putting up with the body for the lens.

6. johnha

johnha Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Back in the '90s when I was looking at getting into medium format, I looked at the Soviet (as then) cameras. They were cheaper options, but quality control seemed very inconsistent. Those officially imported into the UK were effectively rebuilt by the importer to fix light leaks and so on. Those sourced directly from the Soviet Union were much less consistent. As with all contemporary Soviet gear, I'd have expected them to be mechanically basic & bomb-proof (shutters excepted perhaps).

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kiev 6

As it name indicates, it is not Russian.

8. Jeff Bradford

Jeff Bradford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I looked for a long time for a camera that would get me into the P6 lenses. I didn't really care which camera it was, so long as it worked properly. I got my first 6c with a Vega-12 for $80, but they arrived in poor condition (though functional). I traded them away and found another deal for a 6c with Volna-3 & Mir 26b for $80 and all arrived in wonderful condition. Now I've got a CZJ Biometar 120 and Sonnar 180 and I couldn't be more pleased.

9. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Back in the 90s I bought a hasselbladski in Prague along with the 50 Flektagon, 120 Biometar and 180 Sonnar. Cost peanuts. The hasselbladski only lasted a few rolls of film before the shutter went on it. I thought about getting a Pentacon 6 but I ended up selling the lenses. That was a mistake. I still would love to get a set of the Jena lenses because they are beautiful, but without a lot of machining they won't go on any camera that interests me. I have seen them machined for both the old Bronica S cameras and the Rollei SL66.