Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks

binglebugbob

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
The shutter speed dial on my '81 Kiev 4AM doesn't line up with the actual shutter speeds when the shutter is fired. to fire it on Bulb, the "B" has to be set about 1 cm forward of the red indicator mark. I see two holes in the small "inner" circle around the shutter release button. I'm not sure if there are tiny screws in the bottom or if those are "sockets" for a spanner. I can't find any disassembly info (photos, diagrams) on the net.

I am hoping someone can tell me--before I start tinkering--if 1) there are screws in the two holed in the inner circle, or if those are just holes to use a spanner on. and 2) if I loosen the inner dial, if the shutter speed dial can be slipped (turned) into the correct position...

The camera appears to work OK, except that the shutter speed dial makes setting the shutter speeds a guess.
Anyone have any info about adjusting the dial with the shutter speeds marked on it?

Please reply by PM

bob.

BMbikerider

Shooter
35mm
Yes I am almost sure the 'holes' should have small screws in them to clamp the dial to a central spindle. I had it happen years and years ago and after finding a srewdrived small enough I realigned the dial and tightened the screws. Don't loose them!!!

blockend

Shooter
35mm
In spite of, or maybe because of my eulogising of the Kiev 4, the shutter blind has packed up on mine. This is not unknown and can be expected once every decade, apparently. Unlike my other £20 cameras I love the Kiev enough to get the tools out and fix the thing. If it survives I'll probably spray mine black in the process.

OP
OP

binglebugbob

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks. There is a photo on the Kiev Survival site that Pentode mentioned that shows "my" black dial 4AM being loosened with a spanner. Now I hope the dial can be "slipped" back into the correct position...

OP
OP

binglebugbob

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Conclusion. A spanner with pointed tips will loosen the knob, and the shutter speed dial can be slipped back into the correct position so it agrees with actual shutter speeds. :surprised:)

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom