Kiev 20

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by schyter, Dec 18, 2017.

1. schyter

schyter Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi guys (sorry for my english),

I love and collect Soviet cameras. Today I was given a Kiev 20 and I have big doubts relativia to the little information I had collected. I own the manual but it is in Cyrillic and therefore practically useless. Previously I had collected information
    that indicated the operation of the camera only with batteries, this because the shutter was electromagnetic.
    After various tests, I verified that the camera is fully operational even without batteries; they seem to serve only for the light meter.
    Further information stated that the Kiev 20 is semi-automatic; even in this case I do not know what this information refers to.
    No setting, I think, can refer to a semi-automatic mode.
    Last clarification ... I gathered information on the possibility of multiple exposures, but I do not know what is the procedure for this ... in fact, above the loading lever, there is a discretely hidden button, under a dome in soft rubber.
    Pressing it, you feel that a mechanism is activated, but the shot does not take place.

there is something that escapes me? Thanks a lot. Luigi

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am glad that you are happy with your new acquisition. I have several Russian cameras and find that they go out of adjustment very easily. Fun if you like having to tinker with things. :sad:

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The term "exposure-automatic" has been used in the past differently, at least in German literature.

"Semi-automatic" in your context likely means that the meter is coupled to the shutter and aperture controls.
    To make things even more complicated: there are meter-displays that only have one moving part, the needle, other indicators
    have the reference point moving too. Such differences in coupling may have been reflected in designations too.

4. OP
    OP
    schyter

schyter Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    the camera is "smart" :D ... meaning that performs the exposures at full aperture.
    Maybe that's why they call semi-automatic?
    In any case it is really a beautiful rare camera; I'm happy because it's working ... actually beyond to collect them, I want them to work perfectlybecause I use them with satisfaction.
    This Kiev 20 has very respectable technical characteristics (relatively to soviet SLR).
    At this point I think his only defalliance it's in the multiple exposures button. :pouty:

5. OP
    OP
    schyter

schyter Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I really solved it !! even the multiple exposures function is working.
    After several attempts I understood that I had to press the "mysterious" button and at the same time
    . This action allows you to load the shutter, but does not advance the film.
    it's all here .

6. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Kiev-17, then 20, then 19 (simplified 20)
    20 was made three years and it was not only expensive for individuals, but for some local newspapers. 20 was 400 RUB and unpopular due to this, they cut it to 19 and 150 RUB. Back then 150 was very good monthly salary.