Kentmere Fineprint Warmtone reformulation

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by trapd, Feb 12, 2009.

1. trapd

trapd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whilst ordering some paper from my usual supplier he commented that he was down to the last few boxes of Kentmere Fineprint Warmtone before it was 'reformulated' by Ilford. I use this paper for Lith printing and being fond of it's unusual look I decided to buy the last two boxes of 10x8 and single box of 16x12.
    From what I was told the change is being made to 'remove something' from the formulation and I'd be interested to see if anyone (Simon ?) knows more about this. This is an unusual paper as it uses a bromo-iodide mix with a pigment to achieve the warm tone and whilst I don't like it so much for conventional printing I'd hate it to lose it's lith characteristics :sad:

Steve O'Nions

www.steveonions.co.uk

2. Matt5791

Matt5791 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Havent heard of this - Who's your supplier?

It is an unusual paper.

Matt

3. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a box of 11x14 and 8x10 of what I thought was Kentmere VCFB Fineprint (not Warmtone) to discover a gummed label on the 8x10 that said it was made by Harman/Kentmere and contained new information inside.

That information was regarding contrast filters. Where the 'old' paper had a grade 00 of Y-150 and grade 5 of M-130 this paper had grade 00 of Y-199 and grade 5 of M-199. These values are beyond my Chromegas' range and required me to adjust from split grade printing to combined filter settings.

As disappointed as I was with the thought of change, it is working out quite nicely.

The 11x14 was not the changed version so I can split grade print to my heart's content... or not.

B&H was the supplier.

4. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bruce

Could the filtration info just be a different scale, not the actual color ?

5. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Updated information on teh KENTMERE range will be published in a couple of weeks, I will ensure its posted on APUG first

Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

6. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    df;

On both new and old paper the Chromega filterings system is indicated as Kodak. The old poop-sheet does not show half steps and for example, the combination grade 2 is 35-Y + 50-M. The new grade 2 is 23-Y + 56-M.

7. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bruce

Got it

Thnx

9. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, in german forae the information was spread that the paper base for the kentmere warmtone FG is no longer available and the paper needs a redesign for this reason.

If you are able to read german: http://www.fotolaborforum.eu/index.php?showtopic=2061 by Mirko.

10. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Subscriber

I liked MGWT till they put it on a whiter base, I liked Kentona till they discontinued it, and now they are going to 'de-lith' Warmtone? I guess they don't like me anymore.
    Mark

11. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess I missed it. I don't remember seeing where Kentona was discontinued.

12. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Me either!

13. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Subscriber

I trust the supplier who gave me the info but I will recheck with him tomorrow
    Mark

14. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is just me, but I think there would be a lot of talk around here about Kentona being discontinued if it were true. Like happens many times, suppliers for whatever reason don't/can't carry something anymore so they tell their customers that it's discontinued.

B&H and Freestyle still have a lot of Kentona.

15. OP
    OP
    trapd

trapd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've now received the last two boxes of Fineprint WT (10x8) from my supplier and one is from the old Kentmere factory with the other being coated at Mobberley. Not tried out the new one yet but hopefully the characteristics are the same (no filtration used with my lith prints).
    Until we get the information from Simon in a couple of weeks time it would just be speculation to suggest that it will no longer lith print, it may well be even better for this purpose. At least Ilford keep us informed of changes unlike some other manufacturers, it can be an unpleasant surprise when your favorite paper stops behaving as normal.

One thing I particularly like about the Kentmere WT is the speed, it's so fast I can do large lith prints with manageable exposures of around 1 minute for a 16x12 - it's painful doing exposure/burning in times of 5 minutes plus with some other papers.

Steve O'Nions

www.steveonions.co.uk

16. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

KENTONA is not 'discontinued' and plenty stock is available in the market, as I have said I will give updates on the range in a couple of weeks time.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

17. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Subscriber

Simon
    I am delighted to hear that Kentona is not discontinued as I use it a lot
    Mark

18. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Subscriber

Simon
    Having just heard that POP is no longer available I have become cynical again.
    The information came from somewhere and it will be interesting to see if it is in the update.
    Mark

19. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both could be true, the paper may be still manufactured, so it's still a product on Ilford's books, but the local distributor may no longer wish to carry it, meaning that in that particular market it's discontinued. Nice thing is, that these days, as long as it's still being manufactured, you can simply order it from somewhere else.