Just got a Mamiya645 Super kit off ebay

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
177,131
Messages
2,429,974
Members
94,143
Latest member
helimat
Recent bookmarks
0

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
I have been wrestling with what to do lately. I have the 8x10 but also want something smaller because I'm sure there will be days I feel like shooting, but don't feel like shooting 8x10. I toyed with the idea of a 35mm Bessa-r but a few people here got me thinking of the quality jump in MF, so I started combing ebay for MF kits. I settled on a used "645 Super" kit and it's mint, and it was a good price. Any quirks I should know about these? It's my first mf system :smile:

I've also broken the news to my other half and She seems to have taken it well, phew!

I've attached the ebay description and a few pics of it.

"Immaculate condition Mamiya 645 super Kit. Bought recently.Need to sell as received Hasselblad kit as gift. Original owner ran only 8-9 rolls of film.
Camera body, 80mm f/2.8 N lens (with rubber hood), AE Prism- ALL in almost perfect condition (9+/10). 120 Back (with insert) has barely detectable mark from glue when slide holder came loose. (See Photos). Grade the back as 9/10 for that reason. Will also include cable release adapter and strap.Also original boxes for back and Camera body, and manuals for camera, AE prism. Also battery.
Everything works perfectly, and looks beautiful !"
 

Attachments

  • 4b_12_s.jpg
    4b_12_s.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 110
  • eb_12_s.jpg
    eb_12_s.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 114

scootermm

Subscriber
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
1,864
Location
Austin, TX
Shooter
ULarge Format
how much was it if you dont mind me asking.
Im toying with the idea of selling the Hasselblad system I have, to get a more monetarily manageble (read: cheaper) system that I can work on getting more lenses for.
Mamiya RB and 645 systems are at the top of my list.
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
I got everything above for $590US. Probably could have found a similar kit for slightly cheaper, but this one was in such good condition I couldn't resist..
 

Jim Moore

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Messages
952
Location
Iowa
Shooter
Large Format
Sweet!!

I think you'll like it Sean. Lenses and accessories are cheap on eBay.

I've put together a 645 Pro system with two bodies, winders, prisms, several backs (including a 35mm back) and nearly every lens made for it (except the ultra expensive five figure lenses) for less than $3,000 buying on eBay.

Like you said it's nice to take when you don't feel like messing with large format.

Jim
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
JMoore said:
Sweet!!

I think you'll like it Sean. Lenses and accessories are cheap on eBay.

I've put together a 645 Pro system with two bodies, winders, prisms, several backs (including a 35mm back) and nearly every lens made for it (except the ultra expensive five figure lenses) for less than $3,000 buying on eBay.

Like you said it's nice to take when you don't feel like messing with large format.

Jim
Yeah it should be nice to use :smile:

As far as the "Super" goes what lens would you recommend for a 35mm-40mm (equivalent in 35mm format)? thnx
 

Jim Moore

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Messages
952
Location
Iowa
Shooter
Large Format
Sean said:
Yeah it should be nice to use :smile:

As far as the "Super" goes what lens would you recommend for a 35mm-40mm (equivalent in 35mm format)? thnx


Sean,

The 55mm f/2.8 is equivalent to a 34mm lens on a 35mm camera.

If you want to go wider the 35mm f/3.5 is equivalent to a 22mm and the 45mm f/2.8 is equivalent to a 28mm.

I have all three and they are very nice lenses.

Jim
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
the 55 sounds great, and there's one on ebay currently at $65 so will watch it. Thanks :smile:
 

Nige

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2002
Messages
2,277
Shooter
Multi Format
I bet your wife cringes whenever you say "I've been on eBay and..." hehe!

I choose a 55/2.8N because it was a bargain ($200 AUD delivered in mint condition) One good thing is my 55/80/150 set all use 58mm filters. I've been on the lookout for a 'Super to get interchangable backs and was bidding on one here but it went to high. I've got a 1000s which only has inserts (no mid roll changes)

You're getting closer and closer to joining the postcard list.... :smile:
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
"You're getting closer and closer to joining the postcard list...."

absolutely :smile: actually bidding on an old box of postcard paper this week..
 

photomc

Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2003
Messages
3,575
Location
Texas
Shooter
Multi Format
Sean,
If you find a 210, it also uses the 58mm filters (they also match some of my Canon lens) and is nice to have - I have a 55,80 and 210. Don't forget to pick up lens hood for these, I use it all on a nice, for it's age, 645. Have been looking at the Super, but holding out for one of those killer deals. Congratulations...I think you will love it.
 

PaulH

Subscriber
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
171
Location
Hudson, New
Shooter
8x10 Format
Sean,

I think the Mamiya 645 is a great camera. Two accessories that I find very useful are the gridded focussing screen (I think it is called the A4 Checker), and the power winder. The power winder, although noisy, allows me to operate the camera with one hand. Also, since I am using it I have never inadvertently tripped the shutter when changing my grip on the camera. Used to have a picture of my feet on every roll.

BTW nice spell checker!

Paul
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi, my kit should be here any day now. I'm wondering if the 80mm lens has a "sweet spot" for sharpness that I should know about? Thanks! :smile:
 

David Ruby

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2003
Messages
203
Location
Boise, Idaho
Shooter
Multi Format
This Mamiya package sounds nice. I've been toying with the idea of getting better MF equipment, but don't really know the in's and out's of the different offerings. I see someone mentioned Mamiya as being less expensive in terms of the lenses and other accessories. That is a huger consideration for me since I'm not planning on using this for commercial purposes, just my own fun. Not that I don't like my old TLR Ricohmatic, but it is a bit limiting in terms of lenses etc. etc.

Does anyone know of a good source, other than you folks, where I could get up to speed on MF cameras etc? I've been watching Ebay as well, and I haven't seen anything that seems as reasonalble as what Sean just scored! Nice one. How does Bronica fall in the hierarchy of MF cameras. Not that I have any experience with Bronica, just curious.
 

Fintan

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
1,795
Location
Ireland
Shooter
Multi Format
>I've also broken the news to my other half and She seems to have taken it well, phew!

Sean, can we have an article on your technique
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
David Ruby said:
This Mamiya package sounds nice. I've been toying with the idea of getting better MF equipment, but don't really know the in's and out's of the different offerings. I see someone mentioned Mamiya as being less expensive in terms of the lenses and other accessories. That is a huger consideration for me since I'm not planning on using this for commercial purposes, just my own fun. Not that I don't like my old TLR Ricohmatic, but it is a bit limiting in terms of lenses etc. etc.

Does anyone know of a good source, other than you folks, where I could get up to speed on MF cameras etc? I've been watching Ebay as well, and I haven't seen anything that seems as reasonalble as what Sean just scored! Nice one. How does Bronica fall in the hierarchy of MF cameras. Not that I have any experience with Bronica, just curious.
I also just managed to score an ebay deal for a 2 lens set, a 150mm C and 55mm C lens for my 645. The 55 was mint in the box, the 150 9+ with just a little wear to the bayonet. Got both lenses for $350US! So the deals are out there if you keep searching ebay. Looking forward to having this kit :smile:
 
OP
OP
Sean

Sean

Admin
Admin
Joined
Aug 29, 2002
Messages
11,448
Location
New Zealand
Shooter
Multi Format
Fintan said:
>I've also broken the news to my other half and She seems to have taken it well, phew!

Sean, can we have an article on your technique
I think I am just very lucky in the wife department :smile:
I can usually get away with a grimace or smirk, then quickly change the subject..
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom