Jollylook - Cardboard Instax KS

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by Prest_400, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yesterday I was doing some blog and web roll and stumbled upon this in Petapixel (also published in the Phoblographer and other sites). Did a search around here, and didn't see any discussion about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/971925604/jollylook-the-first-cardboard-vintage-instant-came

An Instax camera totally made of cardboard, with the concept of a box+folding camera and a pinhole-meniscus lens. I saw it as particularly interesting, and the price tag ($20-30 a camera?). I've not pledged but may get one after it is introduced to market. Just a day of KS and they tripled the goal.

Maybe I'll wait for a FSU Edition without the smiley!

2. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What Fun!
    Where are they being made?

3. grussmir

grussmir Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sigh, can't back it though I wanted... no credit card here.

4. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yes, came across that KS project. Thought it interesting but one specification seemed odd, the 110mm focal length is a bit long/narrow angle. It's about the same angle of view as putting a 60mm lens on a 35mm camera, a 'long normal' if you will. I would like to see the same camera but with a 80mm to 90mm lens. I think that would be more useful when you wanted to get more in but cannot back up enough. Good for portraits though.

5. Vidar

Vidar Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    Build quality seems better than the Fuji Instax cameras!

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I expect that it is easier to make a cardboard box camera with a longer focal length than a shorter one, just because cardboard is easier to work with in larger sizes.

7. Dinis Figueira

Dinis Figueira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. It's a great idea, yes.
    More fun than Fuji instax camera? Seems so.
    Better? No... in the end it's a cardboard camera - more fun only to an extent. It's a joyful idea. If they introduce better materials in the future, well then, that's another story.

8. OP
    OP
    Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    IIRC the team is from Ukraine, hence my not-so subtle mention about FSU.

Indeed, just like a box camera is such. Maybe a wood body and a triplet in the front... I recall some comment about wanting to hack it and have a base for an Instax back for another camera.

9. Vidar

Vidar Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    It is a camera made of cardboard. I tried to make a joke :D

10. Dinis Figueira

Dinis Figueira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Truly, I am 'waiting' to see that. Not that the mini format amazes me but I'm sure there are going to be lots of people "copying" the camera just to make one sturdier and I want to see the final results.
    That or they should have a "premium" type of camera regarding this.

11. David T T

David T T Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some reason I love the idea of this, but it makes me want to make my own. Better yet, since I have done case binding work before, I might snag some buckram and board and make myself an Instax Wide back for my RB67. :cool:

Something's gotta give! I have 10 boxes of fp-100c and 2 of the fp-3000b left, and I can't live without instant film for my Little Piggy.

12. SafakOncu

SafakOncu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Am I mistaken or film is ejected the wrong way around (exposed side at the back) in demonstration film?

13. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    That is because the film is exposed through the back to form an image. Otherwise you would have a mirror reversed image. The Polaroid (now Impossible) type 600 film is exposed on the front and needs a mirror, one 45 degree reflection, in the light path to have a correct, non mirror reversed image. Mirror reversed images are a feature of 'direct positive' photo paper that some folks use in pinhole and other types of cameras.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. SafakOncu

SafakOncu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understood, I just thought it should have been ejected face front because I see like that in polaroid cameras (with Impossible project film). Thanks for information...

16. Dinis Figueira

Dinis Figueira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Who have backed it?

17. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Guilty!
    I was debating whether to or not but the missus saw it and thought it was 'cute'.....so I backed it. I think my 5 year old granddaughter will get a kick out of it

18. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    They have passed 3,000 backers and 4,000 cameras.
    Still 24 days to go. wouldn't be surprised to see over 7,000 backers and almost 10,000 cameras!
    Fuji must be rubbing their hands in anticipation. This could add 30K extra sales of the Instax mini film world wide.

19. Dinis Figueira

Dinis Figueira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hope they fare well on "mass producing" the camera

20. UtahFilmPhotography

UtahFilmPhotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me!

21. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is great!!

Wow, they've raised almost $200,000!

22. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    This thing is going crazy! It's almost 6:00 PM here on the west coast and they have 375 left out of the 1500 at the $38 level, I figure that that price will be used up in less than a day. then one camera is $41.

Oh, just in case anyone is curious, when I backed it I found shipping to the US is $10, I backed it anyway but I couldn't find shipping info anywhere on their site.

23. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Almost finished. Better get on the wagon if this is something you want. Less than 6 hours left.

24. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Well, update #20, one year past original estimated delivery and another indefinite delay. Looks like another KS failure, backers might never see any camera. Too bad.

25. ciniframe

ciniframe Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Update #21 just posted. Not good news. They need to sell cameras to dealers before backers get their rewards so they can pay bills and make more cameras for backers. This is the story now, who knows what it will be next month if the cameras don’t sell and just sit on the shelf. Then I guess we just never get the camera.

26. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This morning I received an email from Jollylook with a tracking number.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.