Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crockodile
Recent bookmarks

StevieRose

Does anyone have experience doing rotational development of Kodak 5222/XX using Xtol and/or D96 that you can share with me? Do you pre-wet the film? Do you decrease the development time by 15% or some other number? I realize that I will need to work this out and fine tune it for myself, but it would be useful to have a good starting point. Many thanks!

pentaxuser

Format
35mm
I have never used a rotary process for other than C41 where the time is fixed anyway but by all accounts a 15% reduction in development time sounds about right. I don't think a pre-wet or no pre-wet is that crucial but I should add that someone called John Tinsley who wrote a book on rotary processing said that he found that times for inversion were right for Ilford films and he believed this to be the case since he preferred to give the film a 5 minute pre-wet to ensure even development i.e. he made no reductíon in rotary times

So if a pre-wet is what you normally and subscribe to the risk of uneven development without a pre-we then there may be good reason to keep to the inversion times or make only a very small reduction for rotary say 5%

Let us know what you did afterwards and what were the results

pentaxuser

grahamp

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Jobo recommended a 5 minute pre-rinse at process temperature, then using the inversion time. You cannot do this with re-useable or replenishing developer because there would be some dilution.

It does depend a bit on the film and developer. The main thing is not to skimp on the pre-rinse time - you want to get the film saturated and stable.

if you go with the developer directly, you will probably see a little more contrast that a normal inversion every minute approach.

I pre-rinse unless I am using Thornton’s Two Bath developer.

Now wait for the counter opinions!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom