Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

RIchardn

Shooter
Medium Format
My favourite cobination of film and developer is Acros and Rodinal which i use extensively. When I want more speed I have used HP5 amd some XP2.
However do you have any reccomendations for a iso 400 film and developer combination that gives results similar (clearly it will not be the same) as Acros. I use 120 and some 35mm
many thanks
Richard

ps. as i Don't use a lot of film at this speed It would be nive if the developer had the keeping properties of Rodinal!

Ektagraphic

Shooter
Medium Format
I use Tri-X 400 and Gamma Plus and I get really nice results.

Shooter
Multi Format
Tmax 400. Probably the finest grained ISO 400 film out there. But XP2 Super is even finer grained, but mostly lower in contrast as you have less control with C41 film than you do with traditional b&w film.

Bruce Watson

Shooter
4x5 Format
Tmax 400. Probably the finest grained ISO 400 film out there.

Yep. It won't really look like Acros however. Acros IIRC is not a fully panchromatic film, so it favors blues over reds. It may be that you can use a filter and pull the look closer to Acros, but if you do that you end up loosing some of the shutter speed you wanted from a 400 speed film in the first place. So IDK.

Shooter
Multi Format
Attached is the spectral response of Tmax 400 and Acros. Pretty similar in my opinion.
Both are taken from Fuji's and Kodak's spec sheets. The one on the left is Acros.

Yep. It won't really look like Acros however. Acros IIRC is not a fully panchromatic film, so it favors blues over reds. It may be that you can use a filter and pull the look closer to Acros, but if you do that you end up loosing some of the shutter speed you wanted from a 400 speed film in the first place. So IDK.

Attachments

• Spectral.jpg
    Spectral.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 126
  • spectrum.jpg
    spectrum.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
T-Max 400 is my 'staple' B&W film.
I'm rather unadventurous in my choice of developer: T-Max also.
Like it a lot.

Ben 4

Shooter
Medium Format
Another Vote for TMY

No question in my mind on the grain issue--Kodak TMY in XTOL. I've not used Acros, so don't know how it compares.

fschifano

Shooter
Multi Format

nworth

Shooter
Multi Format
If grain is what counts for you, the T-grain films (Kodak TMax 400 and Ilford Delta 400) are the best bet. Ilford XP-2 Super also falls into this group, but it is a chromogenic black and white film (and very good).

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
tmy(400) is about as fine grained as you can get.
it doesn't block up if you use artificial light too.
i like it because it can be processed in something like Xtol
and be very fine grained, or you can go wild and process it in
something like coffee and get really pronounced grain.
it is a very versatile film.

jpberger

Shooter
35mm RF
Another vote for Tmy and xtol. Fantastic combo. My limited experience is that you can squeeze slightly finer grain and sharpness with dilute xtol/rodinal stand development. (1:5+1:200 for 75mins at 20c and season to taste.)Even xtol diluted 1:1 is great, you just need to make sure you mix with distilled water and keep the air out of storage bottles so the mix is fresh.

And speaking of plus-x, you can always rate that at 400 and soup it in diafine with good results.

ivan73

Shooter
Multi Format
Very nice and smooth is Delta 400 in 510 Pyro.... e.g. woman/girl portraits...great even for possible retro look.

Denis R

Shooter
35mm
t-max 400 in t-max

turbine 1/4 sec. f22 gray day, nd4 and cir pl

church much darker and better resolution when printed

Attachments

• turbine.jpg
    turbine.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 72
  • church.gif
    church.gif
    134 KB · Views: 103

dynachrome

Shooter
35mm
If you leave out spectral sensitivity and just look at grain and sharpness then TMY2 in undiluted D-76 should be about as close as you will get. I use Fuji Microfine for ACROS and the grain is extremely fine.

IloveTLRs

Shooter
Sub 35mm
In my experience it's been TMAX 400 in TMAX developer. Smooth as silk.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I agree with T-max 400 in T-max developer. Keeping properties of the T-max developer are similar to Rodinal.
I also agree that there is even less visible grain in the chromogenic b&w films.

cmo

Shooter
35mm RF
Tmax in XTol 1:1 - you won't get finer grain at 400 ASA - you get coarser grain with most 100 ASA films.

John H

Shooter
35mm
Can anyone give me general processing times for TMax 400 as well as, Delta 400 and FP5+ using 510Pyro semi stand. 1:300 at 70 to 75 degrees.

35mm as well as 120
Thanks,

JH

Last edited by a moderator:

David Allen

Shooter
Med. Format RF
What works for me is Delta 400 roll film with an EI of 200 processed in Thornton's two-bath but it depends upon what you like to shoot.

All images on my website use this combination.

My standard print size is in 6 x 7 ratio on 30 x 40 paper with a 1cm border the top and bottom and the grain is minimal.

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom