Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

RattyMouse

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi everyone,

Something a bit strange happened on my flight to Japan. I had my film in a carry on bag and i let it go through the X-Ray scanner. Normally I know this does not affect the film. However, today for some reason the security people go distracted by something and stopped the conveyer belt just as my film was about to come out. My film sat there for maybe 30 seconds or so longer than the normal time it takes to pass through security. I wanted to yell at them to keep it moving but refrained. What do you think? Is it cooked or can I still use it? I had ISO100 and ISO400 film in there.

Thanks!

Shooter
Multi Format
Think you should be fine. Those scanners take snap shots with small bursts of Xray, not a continuous beam. They were probably just double checking the images on the screen or adjusting it to see a better image. You should have asked for hand checking anyway. Accumulated radiation exposure on even low speed film can ruin it, say if you are going through multiple scans at other airports. I bring a very heavy duty Xray bag on any long flights to reduce radiation exposure as well, its like 10lbs or so but works really well, I have checked the screens everytime they force it to go through and its a big black blob on the displays.

JaZ99

Shooter
Medium Format
I never had problems with xrays at airports. This image was taken on iso 800 film, which was xrayed 5 or 6 times (can't recall) before I developed it:

Morning fog by JaZ99wro, on Flickr

MartinP

Shooter
Medium Format
Aha, the big black blob . . . that's where we put the bombs you know . . . Also, in many places there is no hand-screening option.

For the OP, the film should be no worse than if it had gone straight through as the machines make a snap image from several directions and then the 3D stuff is done by computer. There is no continuous irradiation of the baggage any more.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom