Is finding Polaroid large format hopeless?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by zinnanti, Feb 13, 2009.

1. zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi all -

Newbie to the board here.

I just purchased a used Omega 45D and the seller threw in a 545 Polaroid back. We all know the story with Polaroid. However, as of Feb. 2009, is there any source with large format Polaroid?

I called Calumet, Samys, all my locals in Los Angeles/Hollywood, but no luck.

Thanks.

Tony

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can shoot Fuji instant film in 4x5 format. The Fuji material comes in packs, though- not loose sheets. So you can't shoot it with a 545 back. Better to get the Fuji PA45 back.

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fuji makes 4x5 packfilm and regular packfilm. Beyond that you're stuck to hunting.

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The good news is that the Fuji pack-films are way better in almost every way than the older Polaroid films. They have better, more neutral color, better gloss to the prints and a better tonal range.

5. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ...but if you want to shoot black and white and you're not in Japan... your stuck to keep hunting... or order from Japan.

I guess they will be releasing the pack film 100 speed b/w to the states later this year, but...
    If you're just proofing with it and can get away with a slightly smaller format for light tests, etc., you might want to look at the older polaroid 405 holders. They fit in a 4x5, but take the smaller packs which are INFINITELY easier to come by... and cheaper!

Your other bet on the back is the polaroid 550... damn, I just sold one too (couldn't deal with ordering the 100b in 4x5 from overseas).

Your holder isn't for not though... i believe it will take the fuji film quickloads. And there is NOTHING like Acros in a 4x5 format!!!

6. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. OP
    OP
    zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks everyone. I'll check out the links, etc. I really appreciate the info.

8. Daniel Larsen

Daniel Larsen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Okay - I'm sitting in Iraq and have not been paying attention for a little while. Where did FP-100B45 go in the USA? I do not recall it not being available. I waited forever for a backordered Fuji PA-45 back to use with my Grown Graphic (I also have Polaroid 405 and 545 backs). It came in just days before I deployed (just in time to go in the storage), but I never checked B&H for FP-100B45, prior to leaving. I am positive that I saw FP-100B45 on there before, but do not see it now. Was I dreaming? Now I have to go to Japan to get black and white Fuji 4x5 instant film for the Fuji back? Thanks, in advance, for any info. Best regards, Dan

9. OP
    OP
    zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  10. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The FP100B45 (black and white) is supposed to be available in the USA in March, according to posts on this forum. The FP100C45 (color) is and has been available for some time. The color is my primary proofing film for my studio photography.

11. matthewbetcher

matthewbetcher Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's funny Dan, i thought the exact same thing until i had my holder in my hand and tried ordering what i needed... I swear i saw it before, but i was probably just assuming from all the "chatter" going around about the fuji instant... not making that mistake again and will believe it (100b45 in the states) when i see it.