Interest in a Canadian print portfolio?

Discussion in 'Member Organized Functions' started by adelorenzo, Dec 12, 2014.

1. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Everyone,

I'm posting here to see if any Canadian APUG members would be interested in doing a print portfolio.

I've been mulling around this idea for a while. I've been involved in some different print and portfolio exchanges, and one of the downsides is that shipping stuff around the world can get pricey. Also, I'm personally very interested in people's images from other parts of Canada and I think it would be cool to have one set of images from all different areas. I'd see the theme being something around showing people what's special or interesting about the part of Canada you live in but that's up for discussion.

Basically, the way it works is this:

1. You make X number of prints, one for each person in the exchange (including yourself), and send them to me at your expense
    2. I sequence them, put them in portfolios and ship them out to participants
    3. You reimburse me for shipping and materials, likely $30-40 in total

So basically at the end everyone has the same portfolio of prints. Ideally I think we'd want 12-16 people but I think we could make it work with more or less.

Technically I was thinking unmounted prints, on 11x14 paper with some type of a border, and using either a box or a folder to hold them. If you've seen Jim Becia's portfolio exchange on LFPF this would be very similar.

If you are interested, please reply and feel free to make any suggestions or throw out ideas. I'm open to anything.

Regards,
    Anthony

2. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested, but I'm pretty busy, and will be away for a couple of weeks in Japan show… then have show in Jan and Feb here… then after that I must start proofing my DV negs from last Spring, and Van Island negs from last summer…

3. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I like the idea.

4. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested, but like Andrew, time frame will be important. January to March of 2015 are busy.

5. OP
    OP
    adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Cool! Glad to see some interest so far.

In terms of timing I have no problem working with people's schedules or preferences, I am sure we can find a deadline that works for everyone.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may be interested.

It might be wise to do some research on Canada Post's website before deciding on a format. IIRC, it is a lot more expensive to mail an 11x14 than an 8x10.

7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I offer an idea? I'm in a couple of print portfolios through the PSA (Photographic Society of America) and the way they work is like a circuit. There's a person in charge and an ultimate reviewer (which you could likely drop for this because that's mostly for something PSA does once a year). The person in charge sets the schedule and mails his print and a write-up to the next person. They add their print and write a short critique on the other(s). Then to the next, etc… The ones in PSA have 6-10 members in each, so you're just reviewing that many prints and you get that many on yours. Since the packet gets mailed by each person to the next, you just pay for that leg. Once you've completed more than one circuit, the next time you get the packet, you take your old one out and put in a new one. In most, you end up with 2 in it at any one time to make sure each gets reviewed.
    I have no idea about Canadian mail prices, but the US ones are usually under $10 for the 8x10 one and about $12-$15 for the 11x14 one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.