Inexpensive plate camera

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Young He, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,

I have searched quite a bit of time for a photographic process that reproduces color for large format photography that is not prohibitively expensive (i. e. fuji velvia sheet film or kodak $3 a sheet is not economical for me) and I have found that in Lippmann photography. I am looking for a plate camera that is inexpensive and decent quality, and I think the Russian Fotokor-1 9x12cm camera is a good price for decent quality. Can anyone recommend that camera or another camera, and tell me if the plate holders are easily available? Thanks.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there young he

a few questions for you ...

how much exposure control do you want / need ?
    i am thinking of something like a box camera.
    ALSO
    you can use any camera with glass plates, you just have to adjust the focus a tiny b!t to accommodate
    the thickness of the plate, or if you are like me, you just stop down a tiny bit and you are fine.

john

ps lippmann photography includes working with mercury i think, i'd rather shoot 3 panchromatic films filtered R G B
    and make trichomes nothing as toxic as mercury is involved ... just registering the films and making your prints
    on color paper or if you do it like some modernists you scan and drop the files in the color channels to make color images.
    i do the latter sometimes when i am bored, and have made stereoscopic trichomes they are a blast ..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you aware that holographic plates are required for Lippmann process (unless you are prepared to coat your own colloidal panchromatic emulsion).
    http://geola.com/product/pfg-03c-plates/
    Inexpensive? 90€ for 30 plates; and each one is 6x6cm.
    So, finding an inexpensive folder camera is not your worst problem. And, of course, as mentioned by jnanian, the mercury...

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's plenty of good 9x12 cameras around, the problem is there's quite a number of different fitting plate holders, so getting ones the right fit can be hit and miss.

As you're talking about a pre WWII camera type they all have uncoated lenses, try and avoid a Dialyte lens as these have lower contrast, a Tessar (& type) lens is going to be better.

Ian

5. OP
    OP
    Young He

Young He Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok thanks for the input. I am planning on coating my own plates which should be much cheaper than commercially available plates, and there is a method that does not use mercury.

6. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Personally I would say a Voigtlander Avus or one of the Zeiss Ikon plate cameras. Reason being the plate holders and roll film backs are fairly easy to find as compared to something not as mass produced. They usually sell for less than $100.
    -Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.