Threads
Members
Latest member
jgreen
Recent bookmarks

david b

Shooter
Medium Format
I am working on a new series and I am looking for a large stuffed black crow/raven. Any idea where I might find one?

lee

Shooter
8x10 Format
there are any number of birds that fit that decreption here in FT Worth. Bring your shotgun. The city will thank you.

lee\c

rbarker

Shooter
Multi Format
There are prop houses in Los Angeles and New York (check resources at www.pdnonline.com). If you have a local ACT (American Conservatory Theatre) group, you might have better luck with them.

OP
OP
david b

david b

Shooter
Medium Format
I posted this message/request on a taxidermy website and got a few very surprising responses.
Apparently this type of bird is illegal to kill and stuff and some of the members now think I am part of a federal "operation" and I was even called a dirt wad for asking the question.
Funny.

rbarker

Shooter
Multi Format
That is strange. I would have thought taxidermists would be more open to the use of their handiwork. I assume you told them to stuff it? :wink:

You might be stuck using an "antique" (stuffed prior to the restriction) from a prop house, or a fake of some sort.

TPPhotog

Shooter
Multi Format
Have you considered theater companies or amateur dramatic groups? Might lead to some openings for other shoots as well :wink:

OP
OP
david b

david b

Shooter
Medium Format
well, my next place to look is the Univ. of NM drama dept. to see if they can put me in the right direction.
I'd be happy with a big plastic black bird if one was available.

If anyone is familiar with the work of Flor Garduno, I am looking for the same type of bird used in some of her photos.

bobfowler

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
david b said:
I posted this message/request on a taxidermy website and got a few very surprising responses.
Apparently this type of bird is illegal to kill and stuff and some of the members now think I am part of a federal "operation" and I was even called a dirt wad for asking the question.
Funny.

Hmmm... Maybe it's time to move to NJ! They're in season here right now...
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2004/04-05small_game.pdf

Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
Multi Format
There are a large number of ravens in my back yard right now - squabbling with the squirrels over the cat food.

TPPhotog

Shooter
Multi Format
Tom Hoskinson said:
There are a large number of ravens in my back yard right now - squabbling with the squirrels over the cat food.
My monies on the ravens.

Shmoo

Shooter
4x5 Format
You might also try a local natural history museum. sometimes they keep these items in a back room for display purposes.

photomc

Shooter
Multi Format
David, check some of the sporting goods stores and see if they have any crow decoys..can't speak about the ravens, but crows are still legal to hunt in many states. Not sure why the taxidermy boys were so strange about it...

Bob F.

Shooter
Multi Format
photomc said:
Not sure why the taxidermy boys were so strange about it...

I suspect people who spend half their life with their hand stuffed up a dead animal are going to be strange about a lot of things...

David, your solution with the local drama dept. seems your best bet to me, but if that does not work out, you could try a personal ad in your local paper: "Photographer wishes to meet nice lady for fun, friendship and maybe more. Must be non-smoker, have GSOH, and her own stuffed crow". That should do the trick - you'll have 'em queuing up...

Alternately, this might be an option: Dead Link Removed

or not...

Don't forget to post some of the results!

Cheers, Bob.

OP
OP
david b

david b

Shooter
Medium Format
brian,
thanks for the link. i searched last night but did not come up with anything. this "bird" just might work.

happy new year.

paul ron

Shooter
Medium Format
Go to your local zoo. If you speak with an administrator, you will find an assortment of stuffed animals on hand used for displays, that were done in the days when it was legal to stuff em.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom