Ilford Website Problems (factsheets)

Discussion in '[Partner] ILFORD PHOTO' started by Svenedin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am having difficulties with the Ilford website, specifically accessing factsheets on various products. When I go to a product page, e.g. ID11, there is a link in red for "Fact Sheets". Placing the cursor on the Fact Sheet link causes a drop-down menu to appear. 9 times out of 10 the drop down menu disappears when I try to click it. This is absolutely infuriating!

I am using MacOs Sierra 10.12 and the problem occurs with both Safari and Google Chrome.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have e-mailed Ilford via their website.

2. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, but no problems on Win7 and Firefox 49.0.1.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I was on the site earlier and just tried the link you are talking about now and no issues. I'm using Win 10 fully updated and Firefox Developer edition 51.0a2, yesterdays build .

Ian

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed same problem with Windows and Opera.

But if one wiggles a bit with the cursor that problem might be overlooked, thus at first trials I overlooked the error.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know what you mean Svenedin. On the first few attempts the drop-down box just vanishes, maddingly, then all of a sudden after several attempts I can click on it and the tech info opens up. I have had this problem for months if not years with the site but I just persist and I get there

I use Chrome in Windows

pentaxuser

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put your cursor over the word "SHEETS" rather than "FACT" and it works a bit more easily.

Chrome in Windows 7.

7. OP
    OP
    Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sometimes it does just work but more often not. When it works I am downloading and saving the factsheets to avoid becoming annoyed next time! I asked my friend, who is a computer programmer, whether I was just being totally inept but he said no I wasn't and there is something wrong with it.

8. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES !!!!!!! ( Windows 7 , Internet Explorer 11 )

Karl-Gustaf

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tried both words and neither seemed better than the other except that eventually after maybe 8-9 clicks either then works OK

As I said this has been my experience for a long time. There would appear to be a defect here. I will be interested in Ilford's reply.

pentaxuser

10. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, no problems here (UK) with any of several random Fact Sheet links which I have just tried. Windows 7 Professional and Firefox 49.0.1.

11. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never been thrilled with Ilford's website, but it works and I have not experienced this specific problem.

12. Halford

Halford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I find, using the same OS and browser as you (well give or take - I'm still on OS X El Capitan) that you have to be quick and/or careful with those links, but once you get used to how the drop-downs work and control your mouse carefully, they are okay.

13. Chris Livsey

Chris Livsey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Same OS and browser as OP no problem at all, UK based.
    Apple optical mouse if that could make a difference?
    I suspect the code behind the site is a little long in the tooth, it does the job but from the formatting etc it is not cutting edge. Probably done in-house as no web developer tag is shown and keeping up to date with all possible combinations of software must be difficult.
    BTW as Ilford export more than a goodly proportion of their output the recent fall in the value of the Uk pound will be a useful boost, provided the distributors pass on some benefit but how price sensitive is the market these days I wonder?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Chris,

It's not a mouse for me, it's the trackpad on a laptop. MacBook Pro retina, 2013.

Stephen

16. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am getting the same "special effect" here too (Windows 7, Opera, track pad on HP laptop vs external Logitech wired mouse makes no difference) and agree something should be done about it

What you can do as a work around solution: Klick on "fact sheets" so the small window with the download link pops up. Now, instead of trying to move your mouse pointer over to that position, press the tab button on your keyboard once and the pop up will be highlighted. Now all you need to do is press the enter key.

17. Chris Livsey

Chris Livsey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting, may be worth plugging a mouse in if you have one just to see.

18. LAG

LAG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's it Svenedin! (the best way for you to keep on hand when needed, even when not connected) ... Anyhow, many (or all) of those Ilford (and others) tech. sheets are easy to find in some other sites (and not only Ilford's).

Anyway, to answer your OP question: Not a problem.

19. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see it, I'm running OSX and Safari
    It looks like if you bring the cursor (carefully) down between the "T" in "Fact", and the "S" and stay to the left side of the box, it works. It's very touchy though.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've sent a link to this thread to Harman Tech Service.

21. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a mouse and I have the same issue as the OP so I suspect a mouse is not the answer

pentaxuser

22. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hot news! I was about to try the two suggestions mentioned above but the issue appears have been resolved. The box now remains when I attempt to click on it. I have tried this in several different products, both film developers and papers and they all work

It looks as if someone at Ilford has done something or the creaky system has repaired itself or it might just be my power at willing change.

The gods have smiled. In case it is my will-power that has resolved the situation, I am now going to try and restore Kodak HIE, Kodachrome etc :D

Please be patient, bigger miracles may take at least 24 hours

pentaxuser

23. OP
    OP
    Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Sadly it is still not working when I tried just now.

24. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have just tried it again and once again it is "iffy". I had to click a number of times to make the box remain. However I tried clicking on the fact sheets a couple of times and then the drop-down box remained. It needs fixing but it might be worth trying what I did or better still try the tab method mentioned by mnemosyne. This worked first time for me. Thanks mnemosyne

So clearly it wasn't my willpower that worked so those waiting for the return of Kodachrome etc may have to wait a bit longer:D

pentaxuser

25. OP
    OP
    Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It's not the end of the world but it is annoying. I don't care if the website is boring but I would like easy access to product information. I am not in the slightest bit business-minded but it surely does not present the right image (bad pun) to prospective or existing customers.

26. Harman Tech Service

Harman Tech Service Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,
    We're aware there is an issue with OSX and the menu system, its not something we can easily fix though. The workaround suggested by mnemosyne above; selecting the "Fact Sheets" menu and then using tab to select the sub menu items seems to work ok.
    We are currently working on a brand new website, so this problem should be eliminated anyway in the near future.
    Neil.