Ilford, the latest news

Kodachrome Skies

A
Kodachrome Skies

  • 1
  • 0
  • 96
The Dive

A
The Dive

  • 4
  • 2
  • 131
Edinburgh nights

Edinburgh nights

  • 1
  • 6
  • 185

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
178,731
Messages
2,458,818
Members
94,629
Latest member
swededreams
Recent bookmarks
0

Les McLean

Subscriber
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Messages
1,607
Location
Northern Eng
Shooter
Multi Format
I've just had a conversation with my contact in Ilford UK and can report the following. Ilford are now manufacturing and selling normally having made up the back orders that were generated just after the news broke that they were in receivership. The range of chemical products will be back in the shops quite soon and will continue to be made, in fact no product has been discontinued. The receivers are actively looking for a buyer but I do not have any more information as to who etc, clearly anything relating to that is a closely guarded secret in the present circumstances.

One thing that came across strongly during our conversation is that Ilford are exremely grateful for the response from both dealers and end users in both purchasing their products and the messages of support from many people. Clearly there is a long way to go but I now have a much more optimistic outlook with regard to future supplies of some of my favourite analogue products.
 

Jim Chinn

Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
2,512
Location
Omaha, Nebra
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks Les for keeping us posted on the Ilford situation.
 

BWGirl

Member
Joined
May 15, 2004
Messages
3,049
Location
Wisconsin, U
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks Les for the good news! Give them our best, and let them know that we are in their corner!
 

jim kirk jr.

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
743
Location
Pennsylvania
Shooter
35mm
Thanks for the update and great news Les.
 

dr bob

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
870
Location
Annapolis, M
Shooter
Medium Format
Tell 'em "We love 'em!", Les.

ex. The Colonies....
 

geraldatwork

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
413
Location
Hicksville,
Shooter
35mm RF
Good news, and we can continue to support them by purchasing their products and asking our retailers to stock them.
 

Kathy Harcom

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
133
Shooter
Multi Format
Well this sounds more promising than previous news I had heard. The fact they are now manufacturing/selling all items during this time of uncertainty is a good, giving them the best chance!

Thanks for passing on the news Les.

Kathy
 

papagene

Membership Council
Council
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
5,432
Location
Tucson, AZ
Shooter
Multi Format
Good to hear, thank you very much Les for this shot in the arm.

gene
 

mikewhi

Member
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
807
Location
Redmond, WA
Shooter
8x10 Format
Wow, this is great news. I was always under the impression that US products would continue, but having a healthy world-wide Ilford organization is good news for us all - there is no substitute for profit!

<insert irreverant part, I can't help myself>
Unfortunately, I am Les' source and as everyone knows by now I don't know anything. I just made up all that stuff to make him feel better. So now everyone can go out and cancel all your orders with jandc and go buy 10 years worth of Ilford film\paper. Then we can have rumors about jandc going under and we can cancel all the Ilford orders and re-order from jandc. Man, are we powerful or what?
<end of irreverant and irrelevant part>

Thanks, Les!

-Mike
 

Steve Roberts

Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
1,262
Location
Near Tavisto
Shooter
35mm
Hi All,
Someone I have spoken to in the photographic retail trade tells me that he's heard from his "mole" that the feeling within the "analogue" part of Ilford is that things there have been neglected by those in high places in favour of promoting and pushing the digital side (no great surprise!) and that if there had been a more balanced view the current problems would never have arisen. Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
Steve
 

argentic

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
307
Location
Echandelys,
Shooter
4x5 Format
Steve Roberts said:
Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
Steve

I don't know anything about Ilford sales. But at each hospital visit in the past two years I was amazed at how much analog stuff has been replaced by digital equivalents. E.g. here in Holland no Xray is made on traditional film anymore.

G.
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
Steve Roberts said:
Hi All,
Someone I have spoken to in the photographic retail trade tells me that he's heard from his "mole" that the feeling within the "analogue" part of Ilford is that things there have been neglected by those in high places in favour of promoting and pushing the digital side (no great surprise!) and that if there had been a more balanced view the current problems would never have arisen. Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
Steve

The wet film X-ray business is shrinking to digital and also dry film technologies. Ilford is not a player in dry film X-ray which Kodak has pretty much wrapped up because of tying the film cartridge to the machine and not allowing it to work with anything else.

Ilfords problems were accelerated by the dumping of huge amounts of film on the market at cost or near cost to anyone who would buy bulk quantities. Their largest customers got big concessions in price for the main line films so their profit margins improved significantly. Ilford on the other hand saw rising costs and declining profits from production lines that were being run at a high capacity.
 

TPPhotog

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
3,041
Shooter
Multi Format
jandc said:
Ilfords problems were accelerated by the dumping of huge amounts of film on the market at cost or near cost to anyone who would buy bulk quantities. Their largest customers got big concessions in price for the main line films so their profit margins improved significantly. Ilford on the other hand saw rising costs and declining profits from production lines that were being run at a high capacity.
Yep that sums up the decline of virtually every company here in the UK, when will management learn :sad:

Les - many thanks for the latest update, as the white bearded man said only time will tell. Please pass on our best wishes to the staff especially with Christmas bearing down at a rapid rate of knotts.
 

Max Power

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
598
Location
Aylmer, QC
Shooter
Multi Format
jandc said:
The wet film X-ray business is shrinking to digital and also dry film technologies. Ilford is not a player in dry film X-ray which Kodak has pretty much wrapped up because of tying the film cartridge to the machine and not allowing it to work with anything else.

I dunno, but I was under the impression (mistaken?) that a good number of these wet-film machines were making their way to hospitals and clinics that never had x-ray facilities previously and cannot afford to go digital. I.e. that they were going to less-fortunate nations.

Is this possible?
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
Max Power said:
I dunno, but I was under the impression (mistaken?) that a good number of these wet-film machines were making their way to hospitals and clinics that never had x-ray facilities previously and cannot afford to go digital. I.e. that they were going to less-fortunate nations.

Is this possible?

The problem with this is that these places only buy the very cheapest film. It's a market where the profit margin on the film is mesaured in pennies. The profit margin for say dry x-ray film is huge. Which business would you rather be in?
 

Dave Miller

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
3,883
Location
Middle Engla
Shooter
Medium Format
argentic said:
I don't know anything about Ilford sales. But at each hospital visit in the past two years I was amazed at how much analog stuff has been replaced by digital equivalents. E.g. here in Holland no Xray is made on traditional film anymore.

G.
The day job has me working on the construction of a large new hospital in the West Midlands. Quite by coincidence, I was today taking-off materials required for the extensive darkrooms and processing laboratories, complete with Beehive safe lights. I could be wrong, but don’t think they need those for digital processing.
 

argentic

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
307
Location
Echandelys,
Shooter
4x5 Format
Dave Miller said:
The day job has me working on the construction of a large new hospital in the West Midlands. Quite by coincidence, I was today taking-off materials required for the extensive darkrooms and processing laboratories, complete with Beehive safe lights. I could be wrong, but don?t think they need those for digital processing.

You could be right about the digital processing. Was this equipment for XRays? Or for other processes? Or is technology in Europe in advance on the States ? :wink:

G.
 

eclarke

Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
1,950
Location
New Berlin,
Shooter
ULarge Format
"Management"

TPPhotog said:
Yep that sums up the decline of virtually every company here in the UK, when will management learn :sad:

When will companies replace "management" with leadership?..EC
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom