Ilford MG FB WarmTone - Tonal Range

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by CtEditions, Feb 13, 2009.

1. CtEditions

CtEditions Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I am getting back to using some traditional gelatin silver papers after printing platinum/palladium and other processes and seem to have lost my barring in regard to Tonal Range of the paper. I am currently testing Ilford MG FB WarmTone and my problem is as follows:

In general, a grade 2 paper “should” print 7 Zones from my memory of the Zone System. Well, I am not having a problem getting the Contrast Range as my DMin = 0.08 and my DMax = 2.28, so I am even a little above the 2.10 required.

However, the Stouffer 31-Step Tablet that I use only prints to step #13. Since .3 is equivalent to 1 stop and this tablet is broken down to .10 steps, this means I am only getting 4 1/3 stops! So my DMax & DMin are in good shape but I am not getting the Tonal Range that I think I should on the Stouffer Tablet. I should be reaching at least step #15 for a 5-Stop range and step #21 for a 7-stop range.

Please help, I am either thinking this out incorrectly or am needing different chemistry, etc. I use an Omega D-II with an Aristo Cold Diffusion Lamp, Ilford VC Developer, Kodak Fix (no hardener), and do not use any filtration while testing (this should make the paper behave like a Grade 2).

Any thoughts please…

Regards,

Cody Thomas

2. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You might want to put a light yellow filter on the Aristo cold light head. I think the color of the printing light source has a big affect. I use the Aristo Variable contrast cold light head and my normal for a negative that is processed out to a 1.2 zone 7 is to print at grade 3.7. I virtually never print at a lower contrast setting than 2.5, and often print at a contras setting in the 4. something. And I am not a contrasty type printer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.