Ilford Developer Datasheets

Discussion in '[Partner] ILFORD PHOTO' started by Ian Grant, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would it be possible for Ilford to update their Developer data-sheets to reflect the reality of modern films available today.

The old Agfa films are included yet production ceased some years ago. as is the case of some of the Kodak and Fuji films, Foma films which are widely available around the world (unlike Kodak) aren't listed at all.

Ian

2. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not think that Harman should use their resourses to provide yet more times for films that are in competition to their own.

Do The mighty Kodak provide this service for competitors products?

A better question would be, why do Forma not provide this data for their films.

Rergards....W

3. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Kodak do provide development data for other brands of films. Kodak also provide developers for B&W papers and all that paper is made by their competitors.

The point I'm making is since these data sheets were last updated the market has change quite significantly, films have disappeared and Foma have now taken a decent share of the market. When travelling abroad it's easy to find Ilford B&W films, and also Foma, Kodak & Fuji B&W films are much harder to find.

Ian

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agfa too gave times for films of their major competitors.

5. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see that Foma do provide some data for their films, you may find it useful to download the data sheets for each Foma film, this will get you started on using Ilford chems with Foma films. Indeed the sheets will also let you get a start with Kodsk and Foma chems. as well.

Regards...W

6. OP
    OP
    Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be far more useful for Ilford and Kodak to provide the data themselves. I made this post to ask if Ilford/Harman could update their Developer datasheets to reflect films currently available, not as a general discussion about obtaining data.

Ian

7. Willyekerslike

Willyekerslike Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, my apologies, I thought you were in a rather roundabout way looking for help with Foma film development, instead you were having a nag at Harman because their data sheets are out of date. Yet despite having a few films listed on their data sheets that are no longer available, they are still a very good source of information on Ilford products.

I think that Harman have better things to do, at least I hope they have, than buy Foma film and carry out a series of tests to provide information that is already available for anyone to find on the net. Gone are the days when I started in photography, nearly sixty years ago, when the manufacturers data was the main sourse of guidance, these days such information is easy to find. I do agree that perhapse Harman might consider deleting the information regarding films no longer manufactured although it may anoy those who like to use expired film.

Regards....W

8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It just seems to me that as the Ilford mantra is to be the last man standing in B&W, it may actually pay it to demonstrate its wide presence in all things B&W by doing what Ian is requesting.

pentaxuser

9. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Foma film datasheets list times for several of the Ilford developers (Microphen, Perceptol, ID11).

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guarantee that if Ilford/Harman do quality control research, they are checking how their chemicals work with other common films.
    Remember, they make money selling chemicals too.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    So short sighted! Kodak provides times for other manufacturer's films. If Ilford does not provide times for Kodak films, then many people like me will stop using Ilford products.

12. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Before you get too indignant, read the datasheets. Ilford provides times for Kodak films, including the expired ones you have in the freezer.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I am not indignant about Ilford. I am indignant about the comment by Willyekerslike. Hint: Look at the quote in my post. I put it there for a reason, not based on what I had for breakfast.

14. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I missed the sarcasm. Must be what I had for breakfast. :smile:

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The film manufacturers should and often do provide development times for various developers, even if they do not eat breakfast.

16. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have recently seen spots in Ilford data sheets quoting the Massive Development Chart. Can't find one right now but be sure if I do find some I'll bing 'em to this post.

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I appreciate that you cannot find one right now but can you give an indication of roughly what the Ilford date sheets says. There is usually a whole page devoted to development times in both Ilford and no Ilford developers but without quoting a source. It sounds as if Ilford actually quotes the MDC times and uses the phrase MDC?

Have I got this right?

pentaxuser

18. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah there was an asterisk next to the times and a footnote citing the MDC.

19. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was going to say you must have got it the wrong way round, but I found the chart where there is a reference to MDC with the disclaimer that they haven't been verified by Ilford.
    They relate mostly to Kodak developers.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/1907/product_id/701/

It isn't what Ian was saying as this chart is about developing Ilford films.
    Ian is referring to the Ilford chemicals.

20. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But at least it confirms the thesis that they do not bother to test "all" combos.

21. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

IMO Foma films don't reach their rated ISO speeds so Ilford would have to say so which might present them with a problem.

22. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, Tetenal is listing Foma films. I can't imagine there would be a problem for Ilford doing the same.

23. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if anyone from Ilford now "lurks" on APUG often enough to pick up these threads. Certainly I got the impression that Simon Galley lurked frequently but I get the impression that while Ilford does occasionally interact, it now regards lurking as less productive.

pentaxuser

24. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Start a Conversation with Harman Tech Service.