Identifying found film in bulk canister.

After the Battle

A
After the Battle

salon

A
salon

• Tel
  • Dec 8, 2022
Levenmouth

A
Levenmouth

Pub Station

A
Pub Station

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fusion_be
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
So a couple weeks ago, I got an old Argus camera with a roll of film inside. The problem is the film is loaded in a bulk canister, and I don't really know how to identify what kind of film it is- though I'm sure it's black and white just because a little piece of leader was sticking out after I rewound it.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should figure out what it is? The only catch is if I'm going to develop it myself, I'm going to have to wait until at least January to do so.

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
Cut off a piece, give it say 7 minutes in any standard developer - there should be id marks in the (unexposed) margins.

mgb74

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Just how long should my piece be?

6-8 inches should be enough to make sure you have visible markings. I've found 9 minutes in D-76 (1:1) or Sprint will do it. But I have a partial roll that came in a bulk loader that had no markings - even with multiple rolls processed.

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The problem would seem to be that there is no way round not exposing 6-9 inches of film in total darkness and then processing it but unless he can do this and get a lab to process it without exposing it to light minus a cassette then he has a wait until January when he can process it himself unless he can find a good neighbour here who will process it for him

pentaxuser

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGreatGasMaskMan
Shooter
Multi Format
It's been a while. I just developed it. Of all the films it could have been it was AGFA APX 400, and came back underdeveloped. nothing spectacular, and only three or four frames. That's just the nature of found films. Nothing is ever predictable.

mtjade2007

Shooter
Medium Format
Glad to find this thread. I too have a 100ft B&W film that I put in a bulk loader many years ago then cold stored it in the freezer. I had cut probably 2 36 exp rolls of it and gave them away back then. Now I just don't remember what B&W film it is any more. So I have a couple of questions. Can I identify if it is a B&W film by looking at the color of the emulsion side of the film? If yes, Can I develop a strip of it by C-41 chemicals to reveal the factory markings on the edge of the film? I don't have any B&W chems on hand but have seasoned ready to be disposed C-41 chems in my processor now. I thought it could be a good use of it before I drain it off.

mtjade2007

Shooter
Medium Format
Found that I only gave away one roll and there is another in the freezer. It has my hand written sticker on the canister that says Ilford Pan F ASA 50. Problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I believe this film can be cold stored long beyond expiration, correct?

OP
OP
TheGreatGasMaskMan
Shooter
Multi Format
Ilford film holds up really well as it is- but refrigerating is even better (though freezing or a salt mine are the best options). How old is the film? A thirty some year old non frozen pan f would probably only need to be exposed at 25

mtjade2007

Shooter
Medium Format
It's probably around 15 years old now. Thanks for the great tip. I sure will try to enjoy a great film soon as it is.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom