Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

radiogorillaz

Shooter
Medium Format
Over the weekend I mixed the chemical powders I bought from Photoformulary to make 1 litre of ID-11. I was unable to add the last 37.5ml of distilled water due to space. The bottle I purchased is an amber bottle that was supposed to be 1000ml. So, did the powdered chemicals displace that much space that I couldn't fit the whole 1000ml of water? Will my dilution and time still be ok if I do the 1:1 mix?

An answer by Thanksgiving would be awesome since I'll be running 10-15 rolls of 35 or 120 film.

Thanks!

cliveh

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Over the weekend I mixed the chemical powders I bought from Photoformulary to make 1 litre of ID-11. I was unable to add the last 37.5ml of distilled water due to space. The bottle I purchased is an amber bottle that was supposed to be 1000ml. So, did the powdered chemicals displace that much space that I couldn't fit the whole 1000ml of water? Will my dilution and time still be ok if I do the 1:1 mix?

An answer by Thanksgiving would be awesome since I'll be running 10-15 rolls of 35 or 120 film.

Thanks!

If I'm reading this correctly, your bottle should hold 1000ml and the formula makes 1000ml. If you can't fit that last 37.5ml you must have made some error.

dmb

Shooter
35mm
The instructions for making one litre of ID11 are to add the dry powders in order to 750ml of water and then make up to 1000ml. This should be done in a measuring vessel. This does not mean that you add 250ml. You make up to the 1000ml mark with as much water as needed. Bottles that are nominally one litre should be slightly more than 1000ml. Empty your bottle into a measuring vessel and check that you have the right amount. If need be top it up and put any excess that won't fit in your bottle into a small bottle. If you have more than 1000ml in your current mix then you will have to adjust your dilution slightly to get your desired dilution.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP

radiogorillaz

Shooter
Medium Format
cliveh & dmb; I think you are both correct. I messed up. Reading what dmb said I need to measure the entire mixture and do some math if I added to much water. I hope that my mixture just needs to be top off and whatever is leftover, placed into another container. If it's the other way, then I'll have to do some math and precise measuring. Thank for both your help. I knew I needed another perspective.

dmb

Shooter
35mm
On another aspect I'm wondering why you are planning to dilute 1+1, this is the least economic way of using ID11 as it is used oneshot when diluted - that is you throw away the used developer. You can either develop directly in the stock solution using the amount required to fill your tank for the film size you are using - returning the used developer to the stock bottle after each film and then increasing the development time by 10% for each film after the first - then can get 10 films from the 1 litre. Or you can do oneshot processing (where you ditch the used developer) by diluting 1+3 (75ml + 225ml water > 300ml for a 35mm in my tank or 150ml + 450ml water for 120). You have to develop for longer (see chart on full instructions at Ilford site http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427133131459.pdf ) and you can get 13 x 35 mm films or 6 x 120 films from the same litre - which is OK for 35mm but runs more expensive for 120 film.

rubyfalls

Shooter
Medium Format
Am I correct that ilford does not recommend re-using ID-11 for 120mm? That is the way that I read their chart. I've wondered about this, so any info is appreciated.

dmb

Shooter
35mm
Am I correct that ilford does not recommend re-using ID-11 for 120mm? That is the way that I read their chart. I've wondered about this, so any info is appreciated.

If by 120mm you mean 120 size film (6x6 cm) - not sure where you get the idea that re-use is not recommended. The table on page 7 states that 10 x 135/36 films or 10 x 120 films can be processed in 1 litre of ID11 by re-use

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If I'm reading this correctly, your bottle should hold 1000ml and the formula makes 1000ml. If you can't fit that last 37.5ml you must have made some error.

If the last 37.5ml is just water I'd measure the actual mixed volume we are taking about a small variation which won't have much affect at all. If you look at the dve times for ID-11 FS and 1+1 which is a very significant dilution you'll realise that 5% either way isn't going to only require a very slight adjustment in dev times. Not enough to worry about.

FP4 in ID-11 is 8.5 mins FS and 11mins at 1+1 so 100% dilution is a difference of 300 seconds a 5% variation is 15 seconds either way.

Ian

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
You ended up mixing it correctly, by accident it appears. And you now know about how much water the chemicals take up in solution (about 37.5 ml)!

rubyfalls

Shooter
Medium Format
If by 120mm you mean 120 size film (6x6 cm) - not sure where you get the idea that re-use is not recommended. The table on page 7 states that 10 x 135/36 films or 10 x 120 films can be processed in 1 litre of ID11 by re-use

I use the chart that came with the developer and it reads re-use for 135/136 only and makes no mention of re-use for 120. It seemed odd to me, but ID-11 was the first non one-shot developer that I have used, and I try to follow the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmb

Shooter
35mm
Rubyfalls look at the file I linked to in post 5 of this thread from Ilford. Look at page 7 of that file in right hand column.

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If the last 37.5ml is just water I'd measure the actual mixed volume we are taking about a small variation which won't have much affect at all. If you look at the dve times for ID-11 FS and 1+1 which is a very significant dilution you'll realise that 5% either way isn't going to only require a very slight adjustment in dev times. Not enough to worry about.

Ian

i couldn't agree more

jeffreyg

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I only use developer (ID11 full strength or 1:1) once. Powder to make 5 liters is approximately $10. If used full strength in a 1 liter tank holding 2 rolls of 120 film you can develop 10 rolls @ $1/roll or half that @ 1:1. To me that is less than 1/4th the cost of the roll of film not to mention the time spent taking the pictures. I thoroughly cleaned an empty gallon size bottle of Kodak Rapid Fix which easily holds 5 liters and marked it at 5 liters. I add water and powder until it reaches the mark and then transfer the solution to smaller bottles topping them off.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

rubyfalls

Shooter
Medium Format
Rubyfalls look at the file I linked to in post 5 of this thread from Ilford. Look at page 7 of that file in right hand column.

Thank you! I'm still pretty new to all of this, so I appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom