How to film frame lines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by mathjeff0, Jan 28, 2018.

1. mathjeff0

mathjeff0 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I’m curious how people get these film names on the sides of their scans. I have a canon canoscan 9000f mk ii. Is it even possible with my scanner? Examples or what I’m rambling about included.

Attached Files:

2. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It appears to me that the scan is done without a 35mm neg holder. The neg holder is usually made of plastic and covers the sprocket holes and leaves just the image area (24x36mm) or it can leave the full strip of images. I would imagine that the sample you have shown was scanned with out the normal 35mm holder and so show the sprocket holes and the film ID barcode and numbers.

3. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on the scanner. If yours is a flatbed the key concept may be to not use the film holder provided but instead to lay the strip of film on the glass, it may be necessary to make a special arrangement to bring the film slightly up off the glass for best focus.
    If your scanner has a slot this may be more tricky and possibly not possible!
    Complications may arise with a flatbed scanner when the film holder includes physical registration points that the scanner identifies prior to the scan, if these are absent, because the film holder is not used, the scanner may refuse to start. Sidestepping this may be possible with ingenuity.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Mark I version of your scanner. If I wanted to do what you are looking to do, I would try using the medium format film holder, putting the film on to the platen glass itself and underneath a piece of anti-newton glass cut to fit within the opening in the film holder.
    You might want to try this without the glass first, because the scanner may not focus properly on film placed directly on the platen.
    You need the film holder, because the scanning software doesn't work without the little window at one end of the holder.