Threads
Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

David Nardi

Shooter
4x5 Format
As you may know, the smaller Jobo ATL 1000 and 1500 can only develop film up to 4x5. I started shooting 8x10 this year and I didn't want to buy another larger Jobo machine that could handle 8x10. I fiddled around with a custom built 8x10 film reel that I bought overpriced at nearly $250. It was basically 2 4x5 reels that were cut up and glued together to make an 8x10 three-sheet reel (it fits into the large Jobo drum for these models). It was a huge pain in the ass to load, and I was quite successful at scratching and bending my precious undeveloped 8x10 transparencies. I used wooden food skewers as makeshift guides to help me load the reel in the dark. The best I could do was two sheets at a time. Three sheets was impossible. Recently, the glue finally came apart and the reel is now in the garbage since I decided not to fix it.

Before falling victim to this expensive custom 8x10 reel I was wandering up and down the aisles of a large arts & craft store looking for ideas to developing 8x10 film in my Jobo. In the sewing section I found some plastic canvas used for creating 3D needlework. I bought a $5 sheet and cut it to fit around the inside of the large Jobo drum. The idea was that the chemicals would get underneath the film since the plastic grid like pattern would sit between the drum and the film allowing chemicals to get to both sides. However, I was too scared of using it until the custom holder fell apart. I realize now how silly of me it was to not even spare a sheet to test my theory.

I now perfectly develop a scratch and dent free 8x10. Loading is a breeze too. Just pop it into the drum. Headache free. All for only $5. Live and learn I guess.

DanielStone

Shooter
Multi Format
a friend of mine who shoots 8x20 does this(plastic "canvas"/mesh material)

works very well, and minimizes actual handling of the film because you slide the film into the drum with the mesh acting as a buffer between the two

-Dan

OP
OP
David Nardi

David Nardi

Shooter
4x5 Format
Awesome! Such a neat little trick and so affordable to do. I wish I had saved my money on that crummy custom holder that I bought into. Too bad, it looked like the right thing to do at the time.

jonasnormann

Shooter
8x10 Format
As you may know, the smaller Jobo ATL 1000 and 1500 can only develop film up to 4x5. I started shooting 8x10 this year and I didn't want to buy another larger Jobo machine that could handle 8x10. I fiddled around with a custom built 8x10 film reel that I bought overpriced at nearly $250. It was basically 2 4x5 reels that were cut up and glued together to make an 8x10 three-sheet reel (it fits into the large Jobo drum for these models). It was a huge pain in the ass to load, and I was quite successful at scratching and bending my precious undeveloped 8x10 transparencies. I used wooden food skewers as makeshift guides to help me load the reel in the dark. The best I could do was two sheets at a time. Three sheets was impossible. Recently, the glue finally came apart and the reel is now in the garbage since I decided not to fix it.

Before falling victim to this expensive custom 8x10 reel I was wandering up and down the aisles of a large arts & craft store looking for ideas to developing 8x10 film in my Jobo. In the sewing section I found some plastic canvas used for creating 3D needlework. I bought a $5 sheet and cut it to fit around the inside of the large Jobo drum. The idea was that the chemicals would get underneath the film since the plastic grid like pattern would sit between the drum and the film allowing chemicals to get to both sides. However, I was too scared of using it until the custom holder fell apart. I realize now how silly of me it was to not even spare a sheet to test my theory.

I now perfectly develop a scratch and dent free 8x10. Loading is a breeze too. Just pop it into the drum. Headache free. All for only $5. Live and learn I guess.

Hi David.

I own a job ATL 1500 and would like to start developing 8x10 sheets in it. Until now I have developed 4x5.

Did you make this work? I would love to hear about it and how you did it. I have been thinking about 3D printing a reel.

If you would like to help, please contact me..

Best regards

-Jonas Normann

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom