How many are printing color using a wet process?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by RellikJM, Feb 6, 2009.

Do you print color using a wet process?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2009.
  1. Yes! And I will until I can't print anymore.

31.8%
  2. Yes.

19.6%
  3. No.

12.1%
  4. I'd like to.

23.4%
  5. I did and don't anymore.

13.1%
  1. RellikJM

RellikJM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    RA4 , EP2, Cibachrome, Ilfochrome etc..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RA4, can you get EP2 these days?

Mick.

3. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will again, but haven't in almost 3 years

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes! Sweet madness...

5. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a school of thought that suggests that given advances in colour digital printing there is little qualitative advantage in starting wet colour printing if you have never done it before. I don't know if this is true but given that I use a computer for about 8 hours a day as part of my job, I'll be damned if I'm going to use one as part of my hobby (apart from visiting APUG that is).

6. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, RA4 for almost 35 years now. Early days also Cibachromes.

7. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print using the colour darkroom at the ACP in Sydney. I find wet colour printing to be easier than scanning & trying to get the colour right on screen. Neg to paper is a seamless & easy process.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, RA4. I'll be color until they close down the darkroom at the local communtiy college.

Jeff

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Adrian and Goldie. I have everything equipment wise I need for printing color, so I've been thinking why not "just do it"?

10. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started RA4 about a year ago. Just lovin' it. Not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

11. Matt5791

Matt5791 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

RA4 can't be beaten for cost particularly if you have any kind of volume - I just printed 100 8x10's in about £8 worth of chemistry and 18p per sheet.

Especially when compared to Inkjet.

Matt

12. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh I voted "I would like to" because I thought you meant in your own darkroom. I print wet color all the time in a rental dark room.
    Dennis

13. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you said. The temp control is a bit annoying because I don't have a proper water heater (so I use the tap to heat/cool developer to the right temp), but other than that, I was surprised to discover that the process was easy to figure out.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here, here. My "hobby" is *NOT* driven by profit or even, necessarily, clear reasoning. That's why it's called an avocation, not a vocation. I frankly don't care if some day irrefutable proof is shoved in my face that digital prints are not only "better" but cheaper and this and that and the other superlative. I do what entertains me.

Take, for example, the 20 year old Crayola picture I keep on my bedroom nightstand made by my then 4 year old child. No one in the "art" world would even begin to compare that little drawing to anything hanging in even a small town museum. But if I am forced to choose between my kid's little picture and a master's work of art to take with me somewhere, I'm picking the kid's work because it means something to *ME*. Same with film/wet prints. They mean something to *ME* that I care about. Technical merit or detraction aside, this is about satisfying me.

Take, for another example, that I am beginning to read up on the old tin-type pictures. I've already got a old twin shutter mechanism, and I'm trying to work out the process and camera details to make them. Is this a profitable venture? Not a chance. If there was still money in it, it wouldn't have fallen from favor by the street vendors a hundred years ago. But I don't care; it's to satisfy me.

MB

16. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, RA-4 and Ilfochrome. Ilfochrome (aka Cibachrome) is on its last legs with me - with it being special order only I can deal with up to 3 months lead time to get materials, but not the cost. The last change in chemistry tripled the price and I can no longer afford it. When my current stock is exhausted, I will be done with it. RA-4, however will remain in my darkroom as long as I can get (and afford) materials. In the current cost structure, it is cheaper than printing B&W, so I don't see any near term issues with cost.

Bob

17. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, RA-4, E-6 and occasionally Ilfochrome but there has to be a lot of good negs for me to break open and mix a batch up.

18. srmcnamara

srmcnamara Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just started a color class and I've only had darkroom time to make one unfinished print. in comparing it to the digital prints I've made the Film just looks more "right" even though the color isn't spot on yet.

The print object, however, doesn't really excite me like a good fiber based black and white. it's just too plasticky and not so different from a digital print (to my very untrained eye).

19. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I clicked "I'd like to" as there wasn't an option for "I will". My long-term project for 2009 is to start colour printing. I'm saving up for a colour head at the moment.

20. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Making my own color prints using wet process is the reason I use film.

21. Michael Wilder

Michael Wilder Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Cibachrome regularly since 1974 for other photographers now and as long as I can. Rarely: RA4, C41, E6 and B&W. I have a Merz processor that does it all. I have a new Epson 9900 that makes great prints, but still does not have the depth of what I can get from Cibachrome.

22. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Saving up? Cost me $80 shipped on ebay for an entire enlarger w/ 50mm lens which would do up to 6x6. They're practically getting thrown out.

Temp control? What's that? My temp control is the house heater which stays at 68 degrees most of the year.

23. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RA 4 in a Durst RCP40 - up to 16" prints. I have some 20x24" paper that I want to try at room temperature. E6 up to 5x7 and does anyone remember Ektaflex- I still have some film frozen and one last gallon of activator that needs to be used in the near future.
    Gord

24. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just started making RA4 prints this year, after a failed attempt last year to start making Ilfochromes (and now with the cost of chemistry, I doubt it will ever happen). I'm using the Kodak chemistry at room temperature, and so far I have found the process to be painless—even easier than black and white!

25. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All my colour prints use a wet process from scanned film. They are not optically printed. But, they are not inkjets either. Most of you guys will just dismiss this as 'digital'.

Regards, Art.

26. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I answered I'd like to. I printed RA4 at the communal darkroom years ago and I'd love to be able to print color again. The disposal of the chemicals is really the reason that I have not started printing RA4 in my darkroom. I live in a flat in the city.. I cannot think of a practical solution to this problem.