how do you change the gg of a maximar 207/7?

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by paul ron, Apr 22, 2017.

1. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i have a maximar 207/7 maximar that needs a new gg. i cant seem to see how to get the glass in or out. i dont see an open slot like the avus has.

any clues?

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Open the back shade. Pull the edge of the right of the back. The ground glass holder will slide out. You should see two small pins inside on the left that fit into holes in the piece that slides. Push it back in until the holes snap over the pins.

3. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes yes yes! thank you.
    once i got it, now seems so easy. i tugged n pulled all the edges n nothing moved. but after getting it out, i found if i have the little latch on the right, grab the lip at the top and it slides up like a film holder. it started sliding when i cleared the edge over the 2 pins on the glass side at the bottom. thats when it became obvious.

it had me puzzeled.

thanks again.

my next obstacles are getting film backs. i hate ebay plus i have no idea what exactly to get since there are so many flavors of these things.

i built a roll film back using an rb67 back and a plate of aluminum. i have to figure out how to compensate for the back focus now.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Zeiss 665/7 holders for 9x12cm film. These are pretty easy to find and you know what you are getting. You will need the film inserts (marked for 9x12) or some home made way to get film into the holder. I also have some Kodak and Voigtlander holders that work. With 9x12 film another thing to think about is how you process the film. I have an old Nikon cut film tank and you can adjust it for the right size. Trays will always work and I suppose a Jobo Expert 4x5 drum.

5. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ive got to do some more research on film holders. now that i made the roll film holder for the maximar, im going to be using my avus for 9x12 and will start looking for holders.

prosessing isnt a problem. i have an old yankee daylight tank thats adjustable from 9x12 to 5x7 sheet film.

btw, whats the difference between tye 207/7 and the 207/5? i have the 5.

6. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know the numbers that well. On mine (9x12 types) the 207/7 has geared shift and the 207/1 has manual shift with a locking knob. So not sure of what a 207/5 model has. It is a 9x12 not 6x9 right?

7. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hahaha I have no idea what any of that means... maybe you can tell by these pictures what the difference is? It says 207/5 right under the top strap and is definitely a 9x12.
    DSCF6225.JPG DSCF6223.JPG .

8. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ooooh i see what you're talking about re the shift... its a knob n manual slide shift on mine... ah ha ok.

hugh! thats it?

9. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's awfully tough to find plate holders that still work properly. The light trap tends to get matted down by the darkslide over the past half century of sitting. I'm still experimenting with something that will work. Seems there's a mohair fabric out there that is pretty similar but I just got it installed in a rollfilm adapter and haven't developed anything yet.

I gotta say though, that's some pretty cool wood-grain Dymo tape.

Have a good day,

Brian

10. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hahahaha wood grain of the labels, the work bench and the wood paneling.... All are as old as the camera.

The velvet in the light trap can still be found. Ive used a material intended for couches at a fabric store. The problem after replacing it, the dark slide is very tight in the slot and doesn't pull as easy. Same is true for the camera velvet replacement. Im sure after a few years of regular use it will losen up a bit.

Ive seen some thin velvet ribbon in gift stores but youd have to layer it in... not sure if the nap is thick enough either.

For my AVUS.... I really dont care what shape the holders are at this point... i only have 3 and none of them take 9x12 film. the film sheath says 3.25"x4.25" but I am making them work with 9x12 by just laying the film in place with the bottom edge in the dark slide slot. I cant remove the dark slide while shooting since the film will pop out then I wont be able to put the slide back in. So I pull it up to a certain point I marked on the slide where it still holds the film in place.

The kodak holder for the AVUS is useless for 9x12, it has a drop down face with tabs that will only accept 3.25"x4.25" film.

I ordered the film when I bought the AVUS camera that came with holders. The camera arrived first and the film a week later. I figured a 9x12 takes 9x12 film? hahahaha I was very surprised when it came time to load them.

So anyone with spare AVUS 9x12 holders (101mm x 154mm with a lip) wana sell or trade for 3.25x4.25s (101mm x 154mm with a lip) Ill be glad to work something out.

Buying holders on flea bay is a crap shoot. There seems to be so many different types of holders, i have no idea what to get. So i'd rather buy from someone here that knows it will fit.

I also have a 207/5 Maximar with no holders that Id like to use but again, holders are the obstacle. Seems they'd measure about 94mm x 150mm with a lip.

I made a roll film back using an RB67 fillm back. Mounted it on an aluminum plate with the film gate cut out... screwed it directly to the plate. Its a bit back focused though.. but very usable.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    DSCF6214.JPG

RB film back mounted on a plate to fit the Maximar

9x12 test neg.jpg

how I fit my 9x12 film into a AVUS 3.25"x4.25" film holder.