How do I take off the winding knob Kowa Six?

Untitled

A
Untitled

Black Bull (2010)

A
Black Bull (2010)

Liz-Lith.jpg

A
Liz-Lith.jpg

Stray (2014)

H
Stray (2014)

Time #2

Time #2

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

campy51

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I picked up a couple of boxes of broken cameras and lenses. There are 2 Kowa Six's, one chrome and the other black. The winding knob on the black one won't move but if I manually cock the front with the lens removed it will cock and fire when I press the shutter. The chrome one will not lock when I manually cock it and the winding knob just spins and clicks. I personally like the chrome better and will most likely send it to Ross Yerkes for repair but I want to try to take the sides off the black one and see what is broken but I am off to a horrible start since I can't even get the winding knob off. Anyone do this before?

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
ou can find downloads and reprints of the Kowa 6 shop manual on line.
Google for Kowa and Kowa 6 repair manual and service manual turns up a lot of links to other fourms with people looking for the same, a link to a copy for $28 and link to a link to a link to link that you have to register to download that I do not trust.
I haven't tried Bing or Yahoo but they usually turn up the same results.

Standard procedure for camera servicing is to remove the knobs/levers on the side of the body that the malfunctioning control is on. Knobs are attached with screws, nuts or are left hand thread with access to the fasteners under the covering.
Next start at a corner and carefully lift up the body covering with a hobby knife and fully remove the covering.
The screws that hold the side plate on should be visible BUT there may be mechanism screws that go through the cover but do not have anything to do with the cover. The plates are usually thin and can be bent/deformed easily.
With the cover removed the associated mechanics or electronics of the camera should be accessible.
Lens/shutter cocking may be in the bottom of the camera with a connecting gear or lever in the side of the body.

OP
OP

campy51

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I did manage to get the cover off and had it working until I put a roll of film and it locked up again. I am trying to see what all the levers do and when they do it but I haven't quite figured that part out yet. There's really not that much to these especially if you have access to a manual, but I can't seem to come it one that's free and I am not paying $28 for one.

moto-uno

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a few pictures of my Kowa super six that I took when tearing it down for repair , unfortunately they're too large to post here .
If you like I could email them to you to give you an idea of what you're up against . If you have any lens for it in rough shape I may
be interested , the body or glass can be ruined , I only need one for parts . Peter

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom