Horizontal lines across frames

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ben Miles, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Ben Miles

Ben Miles Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So for a while I've been trying to figure out why I'm getting this strange line across the top of the frame with my Canon AV1.
    av1 issue.jpg I can see the line on the negative itself, so it can't be my scanner. It's probably worth mentioning that the line doesn't go into the space between the frames. I use the lens (50mm 1.8) on my FTb all the time and it works fine, so it can't be that either. I've cleaned out the parts of the camera that come into contact with the film and removed any dust or debris from the film door etc. I've noticed that when it happens, it's always at 1/1000 shutter speed. Shutter speeds are accurate, but it does have a slight 'cough' every now and then.

If anyone has any ideas that I haven't yet thought of, or any guidance on the cough please share your knowledge!! It's a great camera and would be a shame to retire it, but I just can't figure out this issue.

Thanks in advance!

2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a soft line so it would not be mechanical, more like a chemical thing happening during processing. You say it does not in the space between frames does it occur in any other frame?

3. OP
    OP
    Ben Miles

Ben Miles Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Mike, I initially thought that too but I’ve been to 4 different processing places including high street and proper labs, yet the line remains. It only occurs in frames where I’ve shot at 1/1000, any other speed and it’s absolutely fine. So I could have one frame shot at 1/1000 and one right next to it shot at 1/250 and only the one shot at 1/1000 would show this line. If that makes sense?

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it would if that portion of the shutter had some kind of light leak, it's a clue anyways.Although the mark is dark on the photo which means it is a light area on the neg, so it could be a hair or some part of the shutter at 1/000 sec partly blocking the light reaching the neg.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the small slit shutter opening, some little bit of something is making the opening smaller and thus underexposing that line on the neg. you lee it at the highest sped because that is where the slit is smallest. Time for a shutter adjustment. any competent repair shop can do it.

6. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get these from time to time as well- I just always thought it was my lab having a bad day. Happens with various cameras and various film when I experience it so nothing I could pin down other than the lab.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There HAS to be a cause.

For the OP, possibly "something" is clinging to one of the curtain edges, dust, fraying curtain material, etc..

8. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^^^
    when shooting neg, the dragging schmutz blocks light from striking the film, leading to a DARKER area seen on prints

The schmutz blocks a greater percentage of the total light striking the film, making it more apparent at the fastest speeds. It is simply much less apparent at slower shutter speeds where the slit is wider as it travels across the film plane.

9. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Dragging schmutz" :smile:

10. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, I mis-spelled it. Rather than the German 'schmutz' I meant the Yiddish "shmuts'...the person who taught me Yiddish words is turning in her grave.

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nein. Ich verstehen Deutsche, "schmutz(e)"ist gut.
    I just love the term, "dragging schmutz" :smile:

Edit, "schmuts", "schmutz", near enough the same word.i

12. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Set the shutter to B, remove the lens cap, set the aperture to wide open, open the back and trip the shutter. The schmutz will be near the bottom of the shutter opening.
    Camera won't trip the shutter with the back open, fool it. Look around the back opening for the closed switch, it will be very small flat lever in the edge of the back opening, depress it then trip the shutter. A tooth pick or similar can be used to hold it in the closed position while you inspect and remove the crud. No canned air, no cotton swabs. Tweezers OK.

13. Ste_S

Ste_S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a bad couple of rolls of Fuji Neopan 400CN (Ilford XP2) once with a line running through the emulsion. Noticed it on dev of the first roll, checked the second roll before shooting and found the line on the film itself

CNV00032-2.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    Ben Miles

Ben Miles Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all your responses. I'll try your suggestions and hopefully solve the issue!

15. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with the above theories that it's something on the shutter (assuming this camera has a horizontal operating shutter).
    I'd guess the reason that it's only visible at 1/1000 is because that is the narrowest slit, and the dirt probably extends all the way, or perhaps most of the way across. With wider shutter openings it doesn't cover enough of the slot to hurt the exposure (much).
    It's an interesting puzzle. Good luck on finding and getting rid of whatever it is.

16. OP
    OP
    Ben Miles

Ben Miles Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Okay so I think it’s sorted! Checked out the shutter curtains as suggested, and there was a tiny little remnant of the old mirror bumper foam that was stuck to the edge of one of the curtains, right where I’m getting these lines so I’m pretty confident that was causing it. Just need to run some film through it to check. Thanks to everyone that helped, I never would have thought of checking that!

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good!
    Oh by the way, welcome to Photrio!

18. OP
    OP
    Ben Miles

Ben Miles Member

Shooter:
    35mm