Help Needed on NH-5 Concentrate Shelf-Life

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Lobalobo, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Six months ago I bought (from B&H) and used 1/4 bottle of Heico NH-5 Liquid Rapid Fixer. The 3/4 bottle of concentrate (1/4 air) remained unopened at room temperature since then. It looks clear; no particles in it, and while it has an odor, it is not a strong odor (not sure different from when it was fresh). Can I still use it? Thanks in advance. (Caution I know, would say throw it out, but I'd lose the opportunity to work in the darkroom tonight and tomorrow if I do.)

2. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mix a normal strength batch. Place and inch of film leader in it. I should clear in 30 to 90 sec. If it does you are good to go.

3. OP
    OP
    Lobalobo

Lobalobo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, I'll try that eventually, but tonight have only paper. Of course, with paper, I don't risk losing the image, but do risk losing several hours in the darkroom. So do you have a guess as to whether the concentrate is still good? I won't hold you to it, of course (even if I could).

4. OP
    OP
    Lobalobo

Lobalobo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    (By the way, if the response to my question about paper is to develop an image then turn the lights on and see what happens, I did think of that, but I'm not sure that an inadequately fixed print might darken over hours rather than minutes--if the answers is minutes or not at all, then I have my test and apologize for the ignorant questions.)

5. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it will clear film that fast, it is just fine. Be ye not afraid!
    Besides, you use two fixing baths, right!?

6. OP
    OP
    Lobalobo

Lobalobo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    But I don't have any film to test whether it will clear the film that fast. (And I use only one fixing bath, though I know I should probably use two, with prints, right?)

7. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    take four test strips. unexposed. develop them all. stop as you would. Fix one 1min, one 30sec, one 5 sec and none not at all. Wash and place them in a tray. Make sure the rest of the paper is safe and turn on the lights. The no fix and the 5 sec fix should turn some black to gray, but the 30 should not and the 1 min most certainly should not.

Mix the fix 1 part stock and 9 parts water for paper.

8. OP
    OP
    Lobalobo

Lobalobo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Perfect, and thank you.

9. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes.